Advise ref Laptop purchase please

Andsome 14:51 28 Jun 04

I have offered to buy a cheap laptop for my daughter, to replace her VERY old and clapped out desktop P.C. She just needs to be able to use Word and Publisher which I can install, access the INTERNET and e-mail, and save to CD and floppy disk. The ability to plug in a mouse is vital, as I don't think she has the time and the patience to learn desktop shortcuts. I will need to be able to install a scanner using USB. She will not be playing games etc. Ultra fast speed, massive storage, bells and whistles etc are not necessary. I am looking for a good reliable make at a price of round about £500 to £600. Slightly older technology is perfectly OK.

Any suggestions please as to brand and supplier.

Diodorus Siculus 15:09 28 Jun 04

HAve a look at the Novatech ranges; some start around 499 plus VAT. They will be perfect for your specified needs.

Diodorus Siculus 15:13 28 Jun 04

click here for the above:

# 5.0" XGA TFT Screen

# 2.8GHz Intel Celeron Processor

# 1 x 10/100 RJ45 Network Port

# 4 x USB 2.0 Ports

# 56K Internal Modem

# Glidepad with 2 buttons & scroll button

# 256MB PC2100 266MHz DDR

(Supports up to 1GB)

# 1 x Type II PCMCIA Slot

# AC Power Adapter

# SiS M650 Integrated Graphics Accelerator
Graphics

# 1 x Mic-in,1 x H'phone/Speakers

# CDRW/DVD Combo Drive

# 1 x S-Video Out Port

# Weight - 3.4Kg with battery

# Dimensions (mm) - 39h x 332w x 285d

# 12 Mths RTB

Andsome 08:12 29 Jun 04

Many thanks for the above. I will be doing a comparison today, with several recommended from Windows Forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…