advise re best way to set up wireless connection

blueboy2uk 21:59 08 Mar 07

hello there i have a desktop in a dowstairs room connected to virgin 4meg broadband via cable thru a cabel modem ,my daughter is getting a laptop tommrow and is going to use it in a upstairs bedroom i dont want to run wires all around the house so wireless must be the way what do i need to buy to acheive this ,i would think some sort siginal sender needs to be connected to the cabel modem in the downstairs room and the fact that the laptop is wi fi enabled means nothing need to be added to that, i have noticed in the control panel of windows xp pro there is a programm "wireless network set up wizard" can i use this? to send signals from my desktop to my daughters laptop? anyhelp would be much welcom im not a techie so plain speak please.

thank you

blueboy

Strawballs 22:11 08 Mar 07

click here Any one of these routers will do for a cable connection.

click here and this will save me a lot of typing :)

Devil Fish 22:12 08 Mar 07

you will need a cable wireless router

connect the modem to the router by removing the cable from your pc you can then go down 2 routes

1 connect the pc to the router via a straight through cable 0r purchase a usb wireless adaptor your daughters laptop should pick up the signal from the router straight away

if you go wireless and need help setting up start a new thread i am sure their are people who will be able to help you

Strawballs 22:12 08 Mar 07

Forgot to say being a new laptop it will proberbly be wireless ready but check if not will need one of these click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5