advise on cost and upgrades please

pookie 11:21 31 Oct 03

I currently have the following which I use only for gaming fps:
2.4 athlonxp with fan to 3 Ghz, 768 Mb pc2100 ddr ram, 40 Gb hard drive, 52x cd rw, dvd player, windows xp home edition, sapphire 9700 pro graphics, ecs k7 5sa mobo, 550 watt psu, 4.1 creative digital soundcard, keyboard/mouse, modem, floppy. Sorry if I've left anything out

I'd probably want a:
pentium 4 processor with hyper threading (2.8 if they do them), good mobo with dual memory support and agpx8, 1024 ddr ram as 2 sticks of 512Mb, windows xp home, cheapish soundcard, cd rw, dvd, floppy, modem, 40 Gb 7200speed hard drive, ati 9800 pro graphics. Again sorry if i've missed anything.

I?d be keeping my monitor.

Down to cost. Any idea how much what I?d want would be and also how much as a trade in I might get for my own?
Or, would it be sensible to get a new mobo and p4 with 1024 ram again trading in my ram, mobo and processor and keep the rest on my current setup? I?m happy with my 9700 pro.

I?d want good, reliable new parts rather than cheapy bits. Anything else I should know?

Many thanks

-Beb- 11:49 31 Oct 03

Check the speed your RAM runs at, whether it's 266, 333 or 400Mhz. Its best to have both ram modules running at the same speed, because if you have one running at a higher speed, it will run at the speed of the slowest ram module.

Also, If your going to build a system like that, I'd recommend buying branded ram, rather than cheap generic ram, as they will be faster and more reliable (sounds like something Bill Gates when launching windows 98!)

-Beb- 11:49 31 Oct 03

If you ever happen to want to sell your Radeon 9700...

mdshamilton 12:17 31 Oct 03

Sound cards are relatively cheap...but get a good one and a good set of surround sound speakers. I like playing first person shooters (like Medal of Honor) - it's amazing to listen to action happening behind you...

pookie 12:18 31 Oct 03

thanks Beb

it's all 266 and the 2.4 athlon is the highest that my mobo will take. 9700, it'd like to keep it as I don't want to splash out on 9800 pro for no real visual benefit.

stourry 12:45 31 Oct 03

perhaps try this click here
not sure if it will help i use it a lot and have had no problems with getting good hardware

goonerbill 12:56 31 Oct 03

cpu click here

mobo click here

look at the 2 links. cant get any better cpu.

why not keep all the parts you have at moment and just upgrade to new mobo. check this one out click here

pookie 13:18 31 Oct 03

many thanks for the replies.

i've been put of asus mobo's as so many have had issues between them and ati cards (although this may be a thing of the past). also, for gaming most say that P4 with hypoer threading is the only way to go. I've never built a system so out of curiousity can you just change the mobo and keep the same cpu and fan?

pookie 14:22 31 Oct 03

exploring just upgrading mobo option - will changing to new mobo, with agp 8x and I guess dual memory support make a big difference on its own (keeping the rest of my bits as above)?

pookie 21:03 05 Nov 03

still thinking of my options. how about changing mobo and putting in a 3Gz barton but keeping all my current bits, including my ram? will it show much improvements in fps games are would i need new ram as well?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…