Advise on cooling

Jacks1515 11:59 10 Sep 09

Hi, I have after much deliberation decided to (for the first time) attempt to build a new rig. I have decided to go with the new Intel I5 processor as I read that this remains pretty cool. I have therefore bought a fairly cheap cpu cooler (Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775). The case I am going to use is an Antec 902 which I read was good for cooling. I have no intention of overclocking any time soon or until I know what I am doing by which time I can maybe spend more on cooling. Will this cooling be suffice any advice would be greatly appreciated

I am Spartacus 12:09 10 Sep 09

Do you have the mounting brackets for Socket 1156? It will be better than the stock cooler I would think.

Jacks1515 12:46 10 Sep 09

Thanks for the reply. My order arrives tomorrow so not sure if said brackets come with.

Also I am intending to use my disc drive from my last computer, will this require a driver disk ?

Thanks Ewen

I am Spartacus 13:08 10 Sep 09

You'd be better doing a fresh install with a new motherboard and CPU. It may just work without but could create problems with motherboard drivers etc.

Jacks1515 13:24 10 Sep 09

Hi the problem I have there is that my old drive came on a system that everything was preinstalled. Would I be better buying a new disk drive ?

I am Spartacus 13:26 10 Sep 09

You would need to buy another OS but you could use the old hard disk. However a new drive would probably be a bit faster and you could use the old one for backups.

Jacks1515 13:33 10 Sep 09

I have a new os coming, got a new hard drive but will also use the old, Think i will probaly go to my local shop and get a cheapish drive. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017