Advice/Recommendations for a printer

GroupFC 22:28 20 Sep 04

I have an epson stylus C42UX printer. It has given sterling service for the time that I have had it. I am now getting a message pop-up "service required - some parts have come to the end of their service life" or words to that effect.

The question I have is - it worth getting the printer serviced (at whatever that may cost!) or would I be better getting a new printer, and if I get a new printer does anybody have any recommendations for a budget up to about £125?

Jeffers22 22:54 20 Sep 04

That's a bit open ended - it depends on what you want to do with it.

For a cheap mono laser, I swear by Panasonic, also pretty cheap to run, though Kyocera keep coming tops in the cost of ownership stakes.
My Panasonic is the KX-P7100 16 ppm (yeah right!) but with duplex included. Previously ran a KX-P6500 into the ground.

My Inkjet is HP CX895i - no longer current - but has been no trouble. When it breaks I'll probably get a Konica colour laser.

If you want photo printing you need inkjet. Epson keep coming top of the pops in the reviews for these.

GroupFC 23:19 20 Sep 04

Sorry - having re-read my post it is a bit of a silly question!

Since posting such a daft question I have done a bit of trawling through the archives and it does look as if Epson may be the way to go (I haven't got any complaints about the one I've got at the moment). I'll have a look at the c66 and c86 and see what they're like!

Danoh 07:45 21 Sep 04

Epson printer cartridges do not have a print-head as that is part of the printer. HP printer cartridges have in integral print-head which is why they are more expensive than Epson cartridges. So I would suspect that the printer's print-head would be a service part which will need replacing and they are quite expensive. It would be worth checking out what it would cost you to replace that part alone. As your post implied, it may be time to replace the printer instead.

However, the warnings are preventative maintenance and I would be tempted to continue using the printer until the print quality becomes unacceptable, if that ever happens!

Mono-laser printers are dropping in price, touching colour ink-jet printer price ranges. The much cheaper running costs will soon recoup itself especially if there is quite a bit of printing going on. You can set the mono-laser to be the default printer so that whoever wants to print has to deliberately select colour, which is when they are conscious they actually need it!

I am seriously considering getting myself a mono-laser printer in addition to my colour ink-jet, once I've figured out where to put it!

Meanwhile I have short-listed various options available to a friend and he has chosen the Oki B4300.

Danoh 07:55 21 Sep 04

As my Epson ink-jet has long periods of inactivity, I started to get a drop in quality until faint streaks started appearing. I was advised to go through a "deep cleaning" exercise and thereafter, to always leave the printer switched on as that leaves the print heads positioned over print pads to prevent them drying out. This has worked for me.

This is the procedure for deep cleaning

1/ Perform 4 head cleans on your printer at the end of the day (or with at least 4 hours to spare).
2/ Leave overnight, do not attempt to do any printing or test printing until the following morning. (or 4 hours).
3/ Leave the printer and the computer switched on overnight (or at least for four hours)
4/ After this time perform a test print.

It is very important that the printer is not used once you have actioned the head cleans, just walk away from it and leave until the following morning, this includes not switching anything off. This enables the ink to gain sufficient pressure to blast any blockage away when you return to the printer the following day.

jack 08:45 21 Sep 04

The broad consensus is Head in machine Inkjet -Replace
Head in Cart get new cart unless the paper feed is playing up [especially HP] then replace.

Lasers Drums and toner a consumable parts so should keep going .

The hour rates charges of repair shops are such that be it toasters/kettles/printers or scanners you simply replace with new.

GroupFC 08:51 21 Sep 04

I would print if I could but the service message I get stops me being able to print and I haven't yet found a way around it! Any suggestions would be welcome.

JonnyTub 09:08 21 Sep 04

click here you may find some info on resseting the internal counter in the printer which throws that message up at you

JonnyTub 09:11 21 Sep 04

I recently had problems with my Epson C42UX printer, the red and green light began flashing and a window popped up, saying, take it to your services center because some parts have reached the end of their life. Instead I did a bit of reading and I was successful. You see printer companies set a “protection counter” on all printers , it’s an internal counter measuring the amount of ink wasted by head cleaning. I needed to reset the "protection counter" as well as clean the “waste ink pad overflow”. Following is the procedure that I used:

1. Unplug the power and USB cables from the printer. I pried open my C42UX printer, careful not to break anything. I use a flat blade screwdriver to pry it apart; there are two-three tabs at the back and two at the front. Gently push them in, and then using a bit of force pry apart the cover.
2. Next I removed the two (2) waste ink pads. They are located at the back on the left hand side. I used the flat blade screwdriver to lift up the ink pads (they were soaked). Please use rubber gloves as it gets very messy.
3. Next I took the pads to the kitchen skin and washed them with just plain hot water until they were white again. I just let the hot water run on them (the pads are about three inches long).
4. Once washed I dried them using a hair drier. (you could place it the sun for a few hours or on top of your heater or maybe in a heated oven; (make sure you do not set it on fire with too much heat).
5. Once dried I placed the pads back in the ink waste bin at the back of the printer.
6. I closed the printer cover and put back all the pieces and plugged in the USB & power cable and turned it on. (Yes the lights are still flashing).
7. Go to this link and download this software: click here
8. Install the software and run it.
9. Select your printer and model number ( It only says C42 there is no UX, choose it anyway).It will ask if you replaced with new pads; say “YES”. Then close the window.
10. Now right click on the SSC service utility, it looks like a printer icon near your clock in the task bar.
11. Then click on reset counters. You can do all other stuff with this utility too.
12. Turn off the printer power and then turn it on again. If necessary un-plug the power cord from the back of the printer, wait 20 seconds. Plug it back in.
14. By the way I use generic ink and I fill my own cartridges. I use ink from click here. Great stuff.

I hope this helps some of you who are frustrated and ready to throw out your Epson printer.

GroupFC 09:22 21 Sep 04

Thanks - looks useful will give it a go when I have some time!

JonnyTub 09:29 21 Sep 04

let us know how you get on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…