Advice on www.onspeed.com

Ephuses 10:54 24 Dec 03

I have been reading about a programme called Onspeed. It is reputed to speed up 56k
modems to almost broadband speed.

I spend a great deal of time away from home in places like Greece, Turkey & Morocco.

I have a laptop and mobli phone and it works at 9.6k. Will onspeed improve this for me?
It costs £24.99 per year to use it.

I'm 70 years of age, my computing skills are very very limited and I have problems understanding the terminolgy.

Please keep the replys simple.

Merry Christmas.

Jester2K 10:57 24 Dec 03

Its Rubbish.

Between your PC and any server you are looking at, lies miles (hundreds, thousands even) of cable. Any noise on any section of cable with affect the speed. Plus theres also the contention ratio (thats the number of people using the same service as you at the same time) to content with.

NO software will give your 56k modem broadband speeds.

If you want to try anything try free software like CyberTweak click here Its free and no guarentees...

Jester2K 11:03 24 Dec 03

Also the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section contains lots of "Why can't i..." to which the answer looks to be " OnSpeed doesn't support..."

They also mention a trial version but i can't see it anywhere.

I would part with any cash (regardless of money back guarantees) before getting a trial.

tbh72 11:06 24 Dec 03

It reads as if you are purchasing the right to use their software.

The software communicates with their servers and they "ACT" as an intermidery between your computer & the internet.

The software uses compression to send the internet pages to your computer as you request them. The software then un compresses the internet pages thus making it feasable to send more information over your 56K dial up connection.

I think this is a good idea for those whom dont / cant get broadband and as they allow monthly subscriptions you have the oportunity to try before you buy so to speak.

Nice find Eph.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…