Advice on .ws domains

edennorman 12:40 01 Jan 06

Hello

Happy New Year to you.

Like a lot of people I suppose, when I got thinking about launching a professional web site, I would have liked a domain name that reflected the content of the site.

However I hav e just been looking at some second hand domain names and the prices are astronomical.

I havebeen aware of .ws domains for a little while, but I am uncertain if by going with a .ws domain name, the .ws suffix will be picked up by google etc...does anyone know of any possible downsides to the .ws domain name idea?

Thank you.

eden

Forum Editor 12:51 01 Jan 06

is administered by Samoa. Several of these unusual suffixes have become more popular (.cc is a case in point) as the supply of meaningful names on the .com/.net/.co.uk levels has diminished.

It's a way for you to obtain a snappy, fairly short web address, and provided there are no commercial deterrents associated with the domain suffix you might get a really good name cheaply.

AndySD 12:54 01 Jan 06

Western Samoa

Well its a country suffix for that country but it shoulsent make too much difference. Just remember that they may have their own rules as to what you can publish on their suffix.

Have you looked at variations on the name you are looking for. click here 'Check a Domain Name' (eg mysite or my-site or my_site etc)

pj123 13:32 01 Jan 06

Why go for secondhand?

Try click here and type in what you think you might like as a domain name. With a bit of tweaking you could get what you want.

For example: www. edennorman. ws is still available. (spaces put in to stop a link).

spuds 13:39 01 Jan 06

Using a domain to suit your style, can have good and bad reflections. In general, I would consider that a UK based business or company using an offshore domain may or may not have something to hide.

Running a domain name check, using a UK Nominet registered agent can usually conjure up a very suitable domain, with a little imagination. The EU domains are now being registered, and these will become cheaper [I hope] as time passes.So perhaps a consideration in this direction, could be a worthwhile venture, unless of course that the WS is essential and your only choice!.

edennorman 13:47 01 Jan 06

Thank you for the info.

I suppose the main point of my question was whether or not having an unusual suffix would affect how your site was ranked with google....do googles spiders crawl over sites with strange suffixes in the same way that they would with a .com address.

Thank you again

eden

pj123 14:44 01 Jan 06

Yes. I don't think the spiders use the suffix anyway. They use Keywords/metatags.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now