Advice on a wireless internet connection

Cornish Rosie 13:29 27 Aug 06

I have a desktop computer and a notebook. I want to be able to set up a wireless network. At present, both computers are connected to ADSL broadband via separate broadband telephone cables, using a splitter. My modem is a Sagem and my ISP is Tiscali.

I would like to dispense with the notebook broadband cable and setup a wireless connection to connect to the internet.

What do I need to buy. I want to be able to access the internet without having the desktop computer running.

Is a router the answer? If so, how do I set it up.

FelixTCat 14:22 27 Aug 06

Cornish Rosie,

Wow! Do you have a separate adsl modem on each pc? Can you run them both at once? I didn't think that was possible.

Yes, you can get an adsl modem wireless router which you connect to your phone line. The router establishes and maintains your broadband connection. You then connect your pcs to the router either by ethernet cable or wirelessly and they can operate totally independently of each other.

In terms of equipment you will need the router, an ethernet cable (usually included) and a wireless adapter for the laptop. Some laptops already have an adapter built in, so check before you buy. You can get either a PC Card or USB adapter for the laptop.

The router will come with instructions for setting up the system. I suggest that rather than trying to detail everything here, you follow the instructions and come back if you get into difficulty.

Regards,

Felix

ade.h 16:34 27 Aug 06

That's odd; I can't see how it could be possible. Even if both devices are happy sharing one ADSL line, surely they would not be able to establish an ISP connection simultaneously. This has always proven to be the case IME, as the ISP is likely to be able only to accept one login at any one time and, of course, the modems will normally both try to log in as soon as their connection to the ADSL line is established.

Gareth2303 16:52 27 Aug 06

I'm not sure what you mean but I'd recommend purchasing a wireless a/dsl router. Connect your DSL line into the router. ATM, I have mine set up as the router is at my pc (which is wired atm) and the wireless is for the laptop. Works all over the house :)

Cornish Rosie 21:03 28 Aug 06

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query. I realise I forgot to mention each computer has its own modem. Apologies for that oversight.

The only reason I decided on having two modems was due to my experience of setting up a ad-hoc wireless network a few years ago to share files and printer using Belkin network adaptors.

Sometimes it would work, more often than not it didn't. As this was before broadband came in, I didn't bother to set up sharing an internet connection. I had enough hassle as it was.

My present notebook has a built-in wireless adaptor. So I won't need to buy one.

I would welcome some advice as to which router to buy. There are so many products in the market. Preferably one that is not too difficult to set up.

Finally, I cannot connect both computers simultaneously to my ISP.

ade.h 21:21 28 Aug 06

It was already quite clear that you had two modems as that would be the only way for both computers to be connected (in a physical sense at least) to the ADSL line without a network (either router-based or ad-hoc).

So to routers. I'll recommend to you the same models that I always prefer to use when setting up a home/small office network. They are:

Linksys WAG354G click here
3Com 3CRWDR100A or variants thereof click here (ignore the free adapter; it's still cheaper than the nearest standalone spec)
Belkin 7632UK4 (not the 4A) click here
Draytek V2100VG or similar click here

As a general rule of thumb, ignore Pre-n kits, although MIMO may be beneficial. A brief outline of your home's construction would be useful here.

Take the time to read my ramblings on standards at click here

Cornish Rosie 21:36 28 Aug 06

Thanks ade.h for your advice and quick response.
I will now check out your suggested list of routers.

Your link to your ramblings on standards is extremly useful.

Just one more question. What are Pre-n kits?

ade.h 21:44 28 Aug 06

For info on Pre-n, see that page on my site. It is a mix of proprietary "standards" that are based on the early drafts of the 802.11n specification, released by impatient network hardware manufacturers. For related information, click here and click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…