Advice on Windows 7 Operating Systems.

23790954 18:09 10 Jan 11

Hello again to all my good frieds on this forum.
About 5 months ago, I purchased, from 'e' bay, a package of windows 7 ultimate, complete with key, which when received and installed, actually activated the windows with that key. The cost of this software package was over £60. However within about 4 months of installing the system, windows 7 was automatically deactivated, and would not activate again. As my daughter also wanted windows 7 installed on her system, I purchased an extra Windows 7 Ultimate key, from an online store. This key was 'e' mailed to me, and again it installed and activated windows 7 at the first attempt. However once again after about 4 months, it was automatically deactivated, and would NOT reactivate again.
I contacted Microsoft in both America and U.K. by telephone, and although they appeared very polite and helpful, both departments informed me that the keys I had purchased were NOT for home users, and that there would be no way to make them activate the windows 7 again. I had been ripped off, The 'e' bay seller has since had his account removed from 'e' bay.
As I do like Windows 7, which is much faster than XP, I do want it installed correctly on my system, however purchasing same seems to be difficult. I have just browsed 2 well known online stores, and both have a purchaser complaining that the windows key that they reveived with the software did exactly what mine did. This costing weel over £100.
Is there any difference, no matter how small, between an upgrade edition of windows 7 ultimiate,
and the full version of windows 7 ultimate, or are they both identical when installed on a system. This may sound a very stupid question, but is there anyway when purchasing Windows 7 that you can guarantee that the product key is actually genuine. Being an old age pensioner, well into my 70's, I cannot afford to throw good money after bad.

lotvic 18:37 10 Jan 11

If you have anyone in family who is in full time education - grandchild etc you can register and then purchase from software4students click here
The upgrade is a full install of W7 it just means that you have to already own a legitimate copy of XP or Vista etc
There is a chart on the link I gave.
software4students is a legitimate site and has link to it on Microsofts website as per the list of sellers on microsoft.com click here

GaT7 18:52 10 Jan 11

Please note that for lotvic's suggestion, the eligible family member(s) must reside at the same property as yourself & also make some use of the Win7 copy purchased. More related FAQs at click here.

If not eligible via the above source, buy from any other known good store: Amazon, eBuyer, Novatech, Scan, Staples, PCWorld, etc. Ask here if in the slightest doubt.

-----------------------------------------
AVOID ALL third-party sellers on ANY site
-----------------------------------------

The same thing happened to me by the way - but only one fake retail full version. The next time I purchased from the same place, but on this occasion I asked for photos of the COA, etc, so I could determine if fake or not BEFORE purchasing (having done a lot of research, I can tell the difference this way).

It took me a few weeks/months to track down a genuine copy, but I did eventually get one for £100 (Ultimate). It was won by this particular seller on a well-known TV programme. But I wasn't taking any chances again, so made sure it was genuine via photos & several emails.

I also tested it via the Microsoft forum (at click here) & it was proved to be genuine with their help. They have a free downloadable diagnostics software tool called MGADiag to check for genuineness (or otherwise). It takes a few seconds to run, generating a report which one has to post in a new thread at the their forum (link above). Then a Forum Mod analyses the report it generates & informs one whether it's genuine or not.

Incidentally, I also got a full refund from the original person several months later as he was an honest 'Business' seller - he had unknowingly been scammed by his supplier. But of course it's not guaranteed that everyone will have the same good experience.

Have you considered claiming a free replacement via Microsoft? See click here for more details. Most people with 'good quality' fakes (like mine was) have been successful in doing so, although it's not guaranteed. (Also please note that you will not be able to claim against the fake licence-key only version, & I think there's a limit of one claim per household anyway).

If yours is a good quality retail fake & if choose to go down the Microsoft route, also make sure to send everything that came with it originally - discs, product key card, box (with COA) & all paperwork. And everything else Microsoft ask for: receipt (take printout of PayPal transaction receipt), sellers details, etc, etc. Also send it via RMSD, fully tracked & insured. G

woodchip 19:33 10 Jan 11

Are these prices around what you have been looking at? click here

Strawballs 19:48 10 Jan 11

click here These are good

23790954 21:36 10 Jan 11

Many thanks to all you good forum members, for your input which I can assure you is invaluable,
and a greater response than I had expected.
Incidentally, one of the windows 7 packages sold, about which the purchaser objected to the key being invalid, was actually on a website mentioned in this post. Now I just need to decide whether to purchase windows 7 ultimate, or windows 7 professional, as I think I shall be purchasing a full programme to make a clean install. Incidentally, in reply to one of the posts, although I have 6 grandchildren ageing from 3 to 28 years old, three of whom attend school, and my 26 year old grandson is a teacher, none of them reside with me, so I suppose that puts a stop to any academic software.
Anyway many thanks for your posts and any future posts.

Strawballs 22:29 10 Jan 11

What is it you do that makes Home Premium of no use to you?

algernonymous 22:51 10 Jan 11

With regard to the academic software, if you can enrol on a computer course at a local college - which as an OAP you will qualify for a concessionary price (at my local college its around £18) you will then be able to purchase Win7 from softarwe4students yourself - they are currently doing Pro upgrade for £40 and Ultimate upgrade for £60.

23790954 14:03 17 Jan 11

Further to my request for help with this thread, I have now purchased a new copy of Windows 7 from 'e' buyer, at the cost of £104.00. This is an OEM software, but before completely opening the package, can someone with the necessary knowledge, inform me of the answers to my following queries.
1. Althoght the sealed package has numerous identifications on it: e.g. carton number; internal part number; item p/n number, coa barcode etc., it does NOT show the key code for the product.
Do I take it that this will be on the inside of the package where the cd will be;
2. Can I be certain that should I have to reinstall the operating system, due to changing hardware etc., that I WILL be able to reactivate it without any problems.
Sorry if I sound a bit dubious, but having been ripped off twice before, when buying windows 7, I want to make sure everything is right before completely opening this c.d.
If there was any doubt I would return same.
Many thanks for amy advice on this matter.

GaT7 14:18 17 Jan 11

1. Yes, the Product key will be inside the package (unlike XP & others).

2. As it's OEM software, if you change the motherboard (especially to a different model), there is a good chance they may not agree to reactivate it - that's probably even if the previous motherboard died & you couldn't get the same model.

From click here by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator:

"OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system"

So if in any doubt, get the retail version. G

961 14:39 17 Jan 11

Software4Students software can be used by a student not living at the address of the parent, guardian or grandparent that buys the software. Many students are away at university or college

Do you really need Ultimate? Professional is usually more than enough and Home will do for many

As Crossbow7 says OEM software has limitations and, if the computer fails through hard drive or motherboard malfunction Microsoft can be picky although if you get the right guy on the phone on a sunny day he may come across

My advice, if you haven't got a student in the family is to buy a retail version of Home rather than OEM of professional or ultimate

Then you can move it to a new computer as you wish, removing it from the old job first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…