advice on what wireless modem to purchase

moosep85 19:50 11 Jan 06

Hi, i'm looking at going wireless with my laptop. Could someone please give me some recommendations of what wireless adsl modem router to purchase, i don't want to end up with something that is not perhaps compatible, also i would like to know whether i neeed a network card or not. My laptop which is a clevo 5620d, already has a wirelees link or so i believe so, in control panel, it says wireless link, so i assume that is it. So do i or do i not need a network card, i'm a bit unclear and basically would like some guidance. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Moosep85

mgmcc 21:17 11 Jan 06

Normally the initial configuration of a wireless router requires a "wired" ethernet connection. This is due to the "chicken & egg" situation - you cannot configure it because you cannot connect wirelessly and you cannot connect wirelessly because it isn't configured; hence the need to use a "wired" connection to set it up.

As to suitable models, as long as you aren't using AOL, a combined "Wireless Router/ADSL Modem" from one of the mainstream suppliers such as Belkin, Netgear, Linksys, D-Link etc should be fine. Netgear's DG834G is probably one of the more popular models and I believe that it, unusually, can actually be set up without having to use a "wired" connection first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos