Advice wanted on external hard drives

charlton200 08:47 30 May 07

I have been thinking about using an external hard drive for backup for sometime. Not having used this type of thing before and relied on CD &DVDs , I am a bit unsure.
I have seen some on Novatech website click here
As i think around the 60gb will be ample for what i need , i would be grateful if you could look at this link and tell me if the 60gb to 80gb ones are the type of thing i would need.

I need something that is easy to use, i don't wont something that is so complicated that i wouldn't use it.

I just want to back up my Documents and my music and pictures and anything else you think I should.

Many thanks as always.

TN 08:53 30 May 07

I have 2 external drives - one 120 GB and the other 80GB. Believe it or not I have almost filled the 80 GB one with back-ups etc. My answer is the bigger the better as the large ones are now very cheap. I also bought two Hard Disk External carriers, both with their own power supply, for less than £9 each on e-bay.

rawprawn 09:35 30 May 07

click here
I bought the 250 gb and I am delighted with it.

Meshuga 09:43 30 May 07

I have 2 external drives and they are easy to use. Just plug them in a USB socket and away you go. Get the largest you can afford, at least 120gb. You`ll be surprised at the amount you find to put on them.

charlton200 09:48 30 May 07

Thank you,
Do you connect them when you want to update your backup or leave them plugged in.
And, do they update your backup themselves or do you have to do it manually.

Abi-Moore 09:48 30 May 07

click here
2250 gb £44.99 if you utilise the google checkout ooption

Abi-Moore 09:48 30 May 07

250gb typo

Alan H E 10:04 30 May 07

Leave them plugged in then when you save something just do it twicw once to your C drive & then to your ext drive which will show as E, F or whatever.

iscanut2 10:38 30 May 07

Buy a USB Hard Drive, plug it in. Provided you have at least Win XP, it will be detected automatically and will show in "My Computer" as Drive E if you already have a CD/DVD drive as D: or the next available letter depending on what else you have attached to pc. Leave it switched on as Alan H E says. Either save your files twice, copy the folders you want to backup by click and drag or use backup software. Acronis True Image is good and easy to use. Get as much storage GBytes as you can afford. The more the better.

charlton200 11:01 30 May 07

Thank you for all for all the helpful advise.

charlton200 13:15 30 May 07

When looking at them i have noticed that some are just usb driven and some are usb and power lead to an electrical point.
Is there any difference, or do they both work the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…