Advice wanted on DVD-RW / DVD +RW

Les 14:38 09 Apr 03

I am cosidering investing in a DVD writer purely for the purpose of storage as opposed to video editing etc. I am new to this but have discovered that there are 3 formats around at the moment. I would appreciate any advice on which format would best suit my needs. The intended use will be to store data in the form of text files with occaisional needs for media files such as mpg,avi,mp3 etc Does anyone have any opinnions on which standard I should adopt and if so why.

Thanks for your comments in advance.

fitshase 14:55 09 Apr 03

Sony have just brought out a DVD writer which does all of the formats.

It is the Sony DRU-500AX.

click here

click here

click here

click here

Hope this helps

Les 15:02 09 Apr 03

Many thanks fer the rapid response and hilighting my omission from the original call for advice. The writer will not allways be available ie the discs produced will have to be readable from a number of different PC's as opposed to allways having the DVD writing device on hand.

Thanks again for the help Fitshase,

Usefull links too,

crx16 15:17 09 Apr 03

unfortunately the sony doesnt record all 3 formats, but the 2 formats it does support are by far the best for compatability.

with the third format DVD-RAM,the discs will only play in another DVD-RAM drive,so it wouldn't help you anyhow.

i too have the sony,its a good piece of kit but its becoming an expensivce option,as you could get 2 seperate drives for less(and cover all 3 formats).

hssutton 15:43 09 Apr 03

I am using the Lg 4020B for the same reasons as you, I am extremely pleased with this unit also with the cost £175, you may even get it cheaper now. This unit writes to Cd-R,CD-RW, DVD-R,DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…