Advice wanted on connecting external sata drive

manrow 06:34 24 Jun 07

I am wanting to connect a 320gb sata hard drive installed in its own case and connected to the sata connection on the motherboard. Trouble is that Windows XP will not load up when it is connected, as it seems to be trying to boot from the new hard drive.

If I connect it after loading Windows then it says drive cannot be recognised/formatted etc., until computer re-started, and then of course it won't boot up as before?

ambra4 07:28 24 Jun 07

Check the BIOS and see which drive is the boot drive

The new MB with Sata you can set up the drive as you want

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:47 24 Jun 07

The PC should try to boot from the SATA 1 connection on the motherboard first, DO NOT plug your external drive into this connection.

manrow 13:04 24 Jun 07

Fruit Bat, thanks for the info.

My Motherboard as I understand it has two SATA 1 connections, one of which is powering an internal SATA hard drive which is not being used to boot from. This has been working fine.

I do not understand what the difference is having either an external or internal drive attached to these connections?

Would it help if I initialised and formatted the new hard drive internally?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:57 24 Jun 07

If you have XP on an IDE HDD check in BIOS that it is set as first boot device.

manrow 16:03 24 Jun 07

Fruit Bat, thanks for further info.

In the meantime I had tried reversing the wires to the SATA connections, and attempted to alter the BIOS connections as someone else proposed above. None of these seemed to help so I connected the new external drive to USB port, and have now been able to format 3 partitions which I created without any problem. Since I only intend it to be a storage device for digital photos, I guess it will be much slower exchanging data if I do it through USB in future rather than SATA port?

I find the BIOS pages intimidating due lack of experience in their use, and am very cautious about changing too much at one time. Is trial and error the answer or are there really useful web pages to learn from?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 24 Jun 07

BIOS Settings
click here

A little old now but some good advice

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 24 Jun 07

For beginners this one is probably better click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…