Advice on Virgin Supoer Hub and Router needed please.

Peter Lanky 18:46 04 Aug 14

I am only asking this question because I have had a problem with my router, and though I've fixed it, suspect that it may be on it's way out.

I am using a Virgin Super Hub (original one) with a 30mbps connection which I believe will soon change to 50mbps. I use this in modem only mode and run the rest of my network via a TP-Link WR1043ND Gigabit router and a switch, as I have 6 wired items in the network.

If the router should die, would I be better to replace the router, or is the Virgin Super hub adequate for my needs along with the switch? The 6 items are: 3 PCs, a network printer, a QNAP NAS and a Linn Digital server. I am technically competent enough to run the network with basic settings, which so far have been adequate for my needs, but not expertise enough for more advanced networking.

Any suitable advice with a not-too-complex an explanation would be appreciated.

BRYNIT 20:12 04 Aug 14

If you are with Virgin Media you will need the Virgin Super hub as it's a modem/router and your account is locked to it. If you are having problems with the super hub Contact Virgin Media help line on the 150 number via your land line. If it is faulty they will exchange it.

Peter Lanky 09:08 05 Aug 14

I am not having any problem with the super hub. I am looking for some practical advice as to whether the super hub is adequate to use as a router, taking into account my description of how I use it, or whether a new replacement independent router would be more practical if my current one gives up the ghost.

Woolwell 10:55 05 Aug 14

I have the Superhub2 which is required for higher speeds than 50Mb. I suspect that you will eventually be upgraded to that. If a Virgin router gives up the ghost Virgin replace it free of charge so I'm not sure why you need a change. The superhub 2 has 4 ethernet ports and is auto-dual band and such seems superior to your existing router for wifi. Depending on the switch I don't see a problem.

Woolwell 10:55 05 Aug 14

I have the Superhub2 which is required for higher speeds than 50Mb. I suspect that you will eventually be upgraded to that. If a Virgin router gives up the ghost Virgin replace it free of charge so I'm not sure why you need a change. The superhub 2 has 4 ethernet ports and is auto-dual band and such seems superior to your existing router for wifi. Depending on the switch I don't see a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…