Advice for Upgrading PC Hardware

Zumi 01:08 AM 08 Jun 13

Hey everyone,

I built my PC about 6 years ago and honestly I completely forget what I should be looking for in hardware to upgrade. I was hoping I could post what I have here and get some advice on what I should upgrade to. If not, maybe someone could point me in the right direction to find everything myself!

Here's what I have now:

• 2.3 GHz cpu
  • 4 GB ram
  • non-SSD hard drive (I want to upgrade this, I hear it makes a big difference)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 video card

I play games on this PC, but not crazy shooter games. Right now I'm playing mainly Guild Wars 2, but I'd like to be able to turn the graphics up and use a recording software if possible.

Any recommendations? And thanks in advance!

Dragon_Heart 03:34 AM 08 Jun 13

The info you have given is a little lacking in detail !

Operating system

Make / model of motherboard etc

With a six year old system you may need to start again !

Chronos the 2nd 08:40 AM 08 Jun 13

As Dragon_Heart has quite rightly pointed out, a few more details are needed, like motherboard, CPU, power supply wattage.

as for upgrading a 6 year old PC, probable end up spending money that would be pit to better use getting a new base system. You will have a monitor, keyboard ETC so that will save money.

spuds 10:17 AM 08 Jun 13

To add my bit, trying to update a 6 year old computer can bring a number of problems, depending on how far you want to upgrade and at what cost. I have gone this route on a number of occasions, and found that it might have been far cheaper and perhaps better to buy new, with a full warranty on all components.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites