Advice on upgrading NTL Broadband to wireless

MIKE 16:57 16 Nov 04

My neighbour has just upgraded to NTL cabled broadband and would like me to fit a wireless system. I have set up my own wireless network system,using BT broadband but as I have never dealt with a cable company before I am a bit concerned. Do any of you kind folk out there know if there are any obvious pit falls I should look out for before I start. Also is there any recomendations for what router with a built in firewall to go for.

caesar 17:16 16 Nov 04

I use a D-Link DI624+ router and just followed the instructions provided.

The connect-up sequence must be followed to the letter.

All worked instantly also with instant wireless access to g-standard speed to a Laptop with a D-link G650+ card.

Remember, the default setting is not encrypted.

Chris..b 17:16 16 Nov 04

It helps that you have already setup a network.

Both actiontec and linksys systems are good.

I went for actiontecs 54 mbs router witch uses the G standard wi-fi and also includes network name disabling (so the name of the network is not broadcast) and 258 bit wep encryption.

This router can be brought at

click here

Im not sure how much you know but the two standards for wireless are g and b. Most G wireless products will work with B products.

But if you go for a g standard router only get G standard network adapters to connect to the router as the b types will not work.

I set up the router no problems on XP.

so i would advice you to go for an actiontec....

(never had any problems apart from when you set one up using windows 98 were once the router is connected you need to refresh the ip address by entering the run menu and typing..ipconfig and then click on refresh all)

MIKE 17:45 16 Nov 04

Thanks for your help caesar & Chris..b. I just needed some confirmation from people who have already been there.Again thanks for your help it was invaluable

radi8or 17:53 16 Nov 04

As well as above, good advice available here

click here?

Regards Bob

MIKE 19:24 16 Nov 04

Thanks guys your always there when needed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…