Advice on upgrading my system- with pic goodness!

thedogisdead3 20:54 14 Nov 07

Hi everyone.

I have a four year old Packard Bell, AMD Athlon XP 2.1 ghz rig with 512mb RAM, 80gig HD and 128mb video card (I think).

Still pretty respectable, does the job but I'd like to beef it up a bit so I'm thinking about installing a second 500gig HD and upping the RAM to the maximum 2gig.

Also, I'm planning on adding replacing the floppy drive (not used even once) with a card reader and adding an extra USB/ Firewire card in a spare PCI slot.

Problem is, although I've done a lot of reading, I'm still not too hot on messing about with the innards so I've included some pictures for you to help me, if you will!

If HTML doesn't work on these boards, I've included links to the pics...

1) RAM

a href="click here" target="_blank"> img src="click here" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> /a>

click here

Looks like I have 2 x 256mb? Is installing new RAM simply I case of clipping out the old RAM and putting the sticks back in?

2) New HD

You can see the first HD there... would it be possible it install a second in the free (3.5"?) above it? Or is there somewhere else it could go?

click here

a href="click here" target="_blank"> img src="click here" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> /a>

Here is a picture of the entire innards for a better idea:

click here

3) And finally... how the hell can I clean this fan?! I hate to think about it wheezing away under the bonnet! Would compressed air do the trick?

Thanks a lot in advance, the help on here is always great.
click here

thedogisdead3 21:52 14 Nov 07

:-)

cream. 22:16 14 Nov 07

1) RAM
' Is installing new RAM simply I case of clipping out the old RAM and putting the sticks back in?'

Yes. Make sure you ground yourself first, just touch the metal part of a radiator. Push back the white tabs and lift out the ram. to insert the new ram, make sure you have it to match the slots on the ram slot and push firmly home. the two tabs will lock by themselves.

Just boot the machine and check that both are registered.

2) New HD

You can see the first HD there... would it be possible it install a second in the free (3.5"?) above it?

If it has a spare bay and you have a spare IDE and power connecter, just check jumper settings and slot it in. Connect bothe IDE and power. then power up the machine.

Are you sure your bios will see a 50Gb drive?

3) either buy a can of compressed air and blow the whole system out or undo the screws to the fan and lift out. you can then dust away from the machine.

PS make sure you mark which way the fan fits, so it extracts air away from the chip.

cream. 22:17 14 Nov 07

Should say

Are you sure your bios will see a 500Gb drive?

woodchip 22:17 14 Nov 07

Ram you need to get the correct ram for the board go click here yes the clips at both ends are what holds it in. just pull the clip away then when fitting just press ram in untill the clips go back on there own.

Yes the Hard Drive is very easy to fit, if you have just one hard drive and a CD or DVD they may be connected to the same Data Cable. So you would need extra cable a 80 wire Ribbon and the Drive should be set to Slave if it is being connected to same cable as other drive.

PS there may be a limit on the size of drive that the BIOS can see and use.

You may need a bigger PSU as fitting a new hard drive will put more load on the one that's in and it just may blow and do some damage

For the Fan use a small art paint brush and compressed air

MAJ 22:22 14 Nov 07

1. Yes

2. Yes, it can go above the present drive in that bay.

3. Take the fan off and clean it properly when it isn't attached to the heatsink. There are four screws attaching the fan to the heatsink, remove carefully. You'll probably also find that the heaksink's vanes are slightly cloggedwith dust. You can use a can of compressed air to blow that dust away.

Note: Be sure to earth yourself before going into the inside of your computer's case, also before handling the hard drive and especially before handling the memory modules. Hold the memory modules by the sides, not the gold contacts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced