Advice on Upgrading a Dusty Old Asus A7N8X2.0

Stimpycat 11:59 14 Oct 06

Hi Guys can someone help me out?

I'm looking to upgrade my system (details below) as my XP processor is no longer supported by some games (e.g. Medieval II Total War Demo).

Is the Sempron 3000+ the best choice? Is it the most up-to-date? Is it worth bothering with at all?

Or should I consider installing a new motherboard to use a Dual Core Processor or some such? (Bearing in mind I'm fairly stupid when it comes to computer tech stuff.)

I'd also like to consider installing a new Graphics Card - I have an NEC LCD1860NX monitor which is capable of 1360x1024. Any suggestions? I guess this one depends on what Processor/Motherboard I end up with.

Cheers!

System Model: A7N8X2.0
BIOS Version: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007
Radeon 9800 Pro
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
Version: x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0
Speed: 2091 MHz
1GB Ram

€dstowe 12:15 14 Oct 06

Modernising and old system by patching it up with modern bits is seldom successful and you will probably, in the end, spend more money on improvements than you would on a completely new system.

If you replace your CPU then you'll find the graphics card doesn't do it justice. When you replace the graphics card, the sound card is inferior. Then you'll need more memory. After that you find your PSU is struggling to provide power for all this new stuff and it goes on and on.

By all means upgrade but don't do it by mixing old stuff with new.

thms 12:52 14 Oct 06

You could of course buy a new motherboard bundle

click here

Or a barebones system (these don't have hard drives graphics cards or cd/dvd writers)

click here

Stimpycat 10:27 15 Oct 06

Ta VM for the advice. Sounds like a new motherboard bundle might be the way to go. How tricky are new motherboards to install? Do you have to reinstall Windows?

Stimpy

PSF 11:01 15 Oct 06

I used this method click here to swap a motherboard from a AMD 1.4 to a Core 2 Duo without reinstalling windows. One slight change to it, I un-installed the processor after removing all of the other drivers. Fitted the new board and then restarted. I did have to reactivate Windows via the phone as it was a major update.

click here foe some more upgrades.

Totally-braindead 11:15 15 Oct 06

I'm in two minds about this and a little confused by your posting.
You asked if the Sempron 3000+ was worth bothering with and mention that you posted your specs below and mention the Athlon XP 3000+ as what you have.
Appologies if I misread what you posted but if its the 3000 Athlon you have then its a better processor than the Sempron 3000 you mention so there is no point in changing.
Also a bit puzzled about the comment about your processor no longer being supported. Can I ask what you mean as the Demo only requires a 1500 processor, if your is a Athlon 3000 then its miles above the minimum requirements and therefore this cannot be the reason it doesn't play.
Regarding upgrading it depends, I certainly have upgraded mine a few times before replacing it with a complete new system and really its a matter of deciding if the system you have will be able to carry on long enough to justify the outlay.
If you have an Athlon 3GZ and 1 gig Ram then I would be tempted to just buy a new graphics card, the only thing is, new computers use PCI Express for the graphics and you have AGP. If you can keep the PC you have for say another 18 months or so then its probably worth the outlay of £70-80 on a new graphics card. If not then spending the money on this upgrade wouldn't be sensible as your new computer couldn't use it, as you would want one with PCI Express.
What processor do you have?

Stimpycat 15:55 15 Oct 06

Upgrading my motherboard doesn't seem so frightening now... Isn't the Net wonderful?

Hi Totally-braindead ta for your reply. Sorry I didn't make myself clear. This is my current CPU:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+
Version: x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0
Speed: 2091 MHz

The Sempron 3000+ was on a list of CPUs compatible with the A7N8X2.0 motherboard and, stupidly, I thought it was more recent and faster than my AMD XP 3000+

Apparently the MII TW Demo requires SSE2 support and the XP doesn't have it.
click here

Stimpy

Totally-braindead 16:00 15 Oct 06

I've never seen this before. I hope its only the demo as theres a lot of processors listed there which would have the same problem and they'd be cutting there own throat producing a game that won't run on so many PCs.
I don't suppose theres anything on the website for the game, a patch maybe?

Totally-braindead 16:09 15 Oct 06

Looking at the list the Semprons not supported either. I see that the full game will need SSE only not SSE2 so you will be able to run the full game ok.

Totally-braindead 16:11 15 Oct 06

In case you haven't read it click here I'm afraid you have it regarding the demo though.

Stimpycat 17:21 15 Oct 06

Cheers for that - looks like I'll have to buy the whole game!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now