Advice on upgrade of my pc

urban gorilla 12:08 03 Feb 05

Hi
I have a pc which i bought 5 yrs ago and it has served me well, no delivery,installation or manufacturing problems apart from the odd software problems which i have resolved with your assistance for which i'm truly grateful.

However the time has come when i need to upgrade.
I seek your assistance and guidance on what i need and how to obtain the parts cheaply considering my budget is a max £200 hence i don't have the option of purchasing a new one.

I feel almost embarrased to mention my specs but here goes:

p3 450mhz. w98. 128 ram memory. 13gb hdd. voodo 3dfx card, cd/dvd rom.

i've been told i need to know what make my mobo is so that will determine what upgrades i can have.
how do i do that?

the upgrades i'm considering are extra memory, bigger hdd and better graphics card (with tv out), usb2 ports. can this be done for £200 (or less as i will have to pay someone to do the work) can you help?

what further info regarding specs do you reqiure and how do i obtain it?

Thanking you in advance.

Completealias 12:24 03 Feb 05

Crucial click here should b able to tell you what memory you require.

To find out your mobo if you don't already have the manual in with the docs that came with your pc then the way I usually do it is to open the case and look for the maker and model number on the board and then google it for a manual.

This i'll tell you all the specs of ya board like what AGP slot it has eg 2x 4x which will help ya find ya graphics upgrade.

As far as the rest goes you should be able to fine a USB2 card for around £10-20, memory depends on what memory u need and how much u want to put in prob end up being around the £40-50 mark. Hard drives are pretty cheap now again depends on the size u want to put in and make looking on ebuyer click here u can pick up an 80gig seagate barracuda for about £30

urban gorilla 12:50 03 Feb 05

Completealias, thanks for your reply.

i will have to find the manual, i moved house last year so it must be packed away somewhere.

i have never opened the back of my pc, the seal is still intact but as it's no longer under warranty this is probably the best time to do it.

Completealias 12:53 03 Feb 05

Just remember to keep anti static procautions in mind

Leave the pc plugged in but turn the socket off, once you've open the case keep a part of your body in touch with it so you have a good earth and any static your holding will not do any damage to any components

urban gorilla 21:17 03 Feb 05

i've managed find my manual for the pc. however it doesn't say what mobo is in there and i'm reluctant to open up my pc after Completealias warning about static.

The info it does give is:
.Intel Pentium III Processor 450MHZ
.Advanced SEC Cartridge for Intel Slot 1
.512K Secondary Cache for Efficency
.128MB SDRAM PC100 168-pin DIMM (3 slots, 2 free)
.13GB Enhanced IDE Hard Drive
.3Dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP Video Graphics
.DVD-ROM III Drive (Max 32x CD-ROM)

from the info above, can anyone tell me what i can upgrade?

also, is it possible to change CPU to a higher spec?
Change SDRAM to DDR?

Thanks

peg leg 21:36 03 Feb 05

Hi urban gorilla.

If you go to click here and download the Berlac advisor it will tell you everything you need to know about your pc including the motherboard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:36 03 Feb 05

Everest Home Edition click here

will tell you model of motherboard

peg leg 21:38 03 Feb 05

sorry I think i've given you the wrong website.

Try putting berlac advisor in the search engine

JonnyTub 21:52 03 Feb 05

No offence intended but I personally wouldn't bother keeping the old motherboard, you can buy all the bits for a new system on your budget which will fly in comparison to your old machine.

personally, i'd go for a mobo bundle and new psu and graphics card, all can be had for less than £200, try here click here

Were i in your shoes i'd go for this combo,

mobo bundle click here £114

PSU click here £49

Graphics click here £32

Total = £195 inc VAT but not delivery (about £7), as i said my personal choice with your budget of £200.

Happy shopping whatever you decide :-)

urban gorilla 21:52 03 Feb 05

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ & peg leg
I now know my mobo is a BIOSTAR M6TBA.
i'll google it to see what upgrades i can have on it.

JonnyTub 21:55 03 Feb 05

I knew i was getting a bit excited............... save up for a new hard drive :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…