Advice on Three broadband dongle

awest3 19:02 16 Mar 08

A friend who was having problems with his ISP(Orange) and their propritory Router has given up, cancelled his connection and bought one of these Dongles from Three £10 month 18 month contract)which gives upto 2.4 meg download speeds and can be used anywhere...no hotspot or connection required. My question is (I can only get max 2 meg download speed where I live) what is the downside of these dongles..? I have 2 desktops and a Laptop (1 desktop and the laptop access the internet through router/wifi), I presume that by attaching the dongle to each of them I could access the internet..?, sort of answering my own question here..no router equals no wifi so only one computer could access the internet at any given time....speeds too slow for some...

Al

woodchip 19:07 16 Mar 08

never heard of that one, but would like some more info

awest3 19:17 16 Mar 08

Sorry should have done one of those Click here things...but I don't know how to....if you type in 'Three broadband Dongle'in google it shows the page on the internet....I think thay are using the word dongle in its widest sense....

Al

Legolas 19:48 16 Mar 08

I can't answer your question but on the click here problem if you just copy and paste or type in the web address into your thread it will automatically be turned into a click here when you post

MAJ 19:50 16 Mar 08

Only the computer with the dongle attached can access the internet unless you set up a network and share the connection using Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Downsides? If your mobile network signal is weak, the download speed can drop out or, at best, vary wildly. Otherwise, they're a broadband lifesaver for a lot of users who can't get a BB connection through their landline or via cable.

woodchip 19:53 16 Mar 08

Yes found it but only 1Gb per month cap download for £10

Ashrich 20:33 16 Mar 08

You can actually buy wireless routers that accept the USB connection from these HSDPA modems , but boy are they pricey !! .

Ashley

awest3 22:00 16 Mar 08

Thanks for the info..just to finish off..my friend went into a 3 shop and 'negotiated' (not sure how) a 3 gig download for £10 a month...

Thanks again

Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…