Advice sought please... new build not starting...

Simsy 17:04 30 Aug 10

Folks,

There I was with my new build "finished" and I turn it on... a bit of whirring... then... well not much!!

It's not completing the post. It takes about 5-7 seconds then the warning bleeps, which are a bit indeterminate, (because it's all a bit of a rapid screech), but I think it's 1 long then 2 short bleeps.

The mobo manual, (Gigabyte GA H55 UD3H), suggests that 1 long 2 short is a "monitor or graphics card error"

Well I'm using a monitor that I know to be working, and I've checked the lead, and even swapped it, all to no avail...

Now I'm using, (or intending to anyway), the onboard graphics, via D-Sub connector, as I've no need for anything more powerful...

I check the graphics details in the mobo manual again, in case I've missed a jumper setting or something, and find a note that says, "To use the onboard D-Sub, DVI-D and HDMI ports you must install an Intel CPU with integrated graphics"

Now I THOUGHT I'd done that; it's an Intel Core i5 750, which I'm sure I'd read handles it's own graphics processing... (it's one of the reasons I bought it!)

However, I note that on the processor box, in the "features" listing on the side, it says, amongst other things, "Graphics Card required"

Is my problem as simple as that; I need to buy a graphics card? Is my understanding that the i5 processors can handle their own graphics wrong? (I can't remember where I got that from!)

Thanks in anticipation... If you can say with confidence that all I ned is a graphics card it will cost me money... but put my mind at rest!

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 17:17 30 Aug 10

I think I may have found my answer, about half way down;

click here

Seems like all the other i5 processors I'd have been OK with!

I'd still be happy to have reassurance from the experienced builders on here!

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 17:27 30 Aug 10

Assuming that my problem is the absence of a graphics card, do I have to match the card in any way with the rest of the kit?

For example, I could afford this, click here but it has DDR2 memory and the system has DDR3. Is this an issue?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 20:50 31 Aug 10

I got the graphics card, and it's now booted. So far only into a live UBUNTU... I'll install Windows tomorrow!

No doubt I'll be back!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…