Advice sought - PC protection

5starred 12:24 09 Nov 08

I know there are lots of threads advising people of the anti-virus, spyware and generally the best protection but after spending a good few weeks recovering data from a family members laptop I have got to the point now where I have formatted the hard drive and am now hopefully in a position to get them back up and running.

I was going to install AVG free but am not sure this is the best 'free' option available.

Can I have some suggestions on what / what not to install.

Many thanks.

DieSse 13:45 09 Nov 08

What AVG free does and doesn't do

click here

What Avira free does and doesn't do

click here

What Avast free does and doesn't do (note the pro version is only a free trial).

click here

My advice - pay and get Eset security suite (has a free trial).

click here

Cymro. 14:02 09 Nov 08

I don`t wish to high-jack this post but I have found that some anti-spy-ware products also check for viruses and so may cause a conflict of two security programs looking for viruses something that is not recommended on this forum.

I run Avast and have always been very happy with it. My original anti spy-were was provided by my ISP but that no longer applies. So I have downloaded Spyware Terminator.

It gives real-time protection. But after downloading and installing it I find that it also checks for viruses. So I have disabled the ani-virus section of the program so so as not to conflict with Avast.

Many anti spyware programs don`t seem to enable real-time checking. So I chose Spyware Terminator as it does do real time checking but also virus checking which I prefer Avast to do for me. So any comments or suggestions welcome for a good anti spyware program that does real-time checks without the virus check.

DieSse 14:18 09 Nov 08

"So any comments or suggestions welcome for a good anti spyware program that does real-time checks without the virus check."

Spybot S&D with Immunisation enabled is what I use. However it usually reports nothing found, as it's alongside eset security suite.

RobCharles1981 14:20 09 Nov 08
  5starred 23:10 11 Nov 08

Thanks for all the help and advice, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…