Advice on Setting up a Wireless Network

mark e 13:21 06 Oct 03

I have Two desktops and a laptop. I would like to use any of the computers to access the internet without leaving one of them on. What do I need to buy to obtain the above setup.

My laptop has an integrated 802.11g wireless technology as well as a high-speed v.92 data/fax modem and an integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN.

I assume I need to buy nothing?

I would also request recommended product Numbers as this would aid my shopping trip

Many Thanks
Mark

Lozzy 13:48 06 Oct 03

all you need is an access gateway router, Broadband straight patch rj45 cables and 10/100 ethernet cards in each pc.

mark e 13:59 06 Oct 03

Lozzy,
Thanks for the reply but I want it without wires and there are so many products I don't know which manufacturer to go for.

Mark

mark e 16:05 06 Oct 03

bump

I have 2 desktops (1 running Win95 and 1 XP), also 2 laptops both using XP. All machines share BB using a NETGEAR DG824M - ADSL MODEM/ROUTER/WIRELESS/ETHERNET/FIREWALL - Pricey - about £140 (Ebuyer) but very easy to setup - well worth the money!

mark e 19:10 06 Oct 03

Do you have to leave one switched on to access the net from the others

AubreyS 19:15 06 Oct 03

No - The connection is via the gateway (DG824M)and remains on permanently. When you switch on any networked machine the connection is already present.

mark e 19:23 06 Oct 03

Thats the system for me. Can you tell me exactly what I need, you mention the DG824M is there anything else to be purchased.

Mark

No - The package contains all you will need - even a good quality DSL filter and all cables.
Good-Look.

mark e 19:38 06 Oct 03

Many Thanks, Can't wait for the shops to open?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…