Advice on setting up router

quill 15:51 04 Aug 06

I am currently using an ADSL modem with my elderly desktop. It's fine. Works well. If I want to get online with my laptop, I take the modem away from the desktop and connect it the laptop.
Not very efficent I know. I have been reading through reams of info about routers, but am getting confused about the easiest, nost efficient solution.
Any advice about the best way to go about this. Also, what equipment do I need please?
My desktop machine is elderly and does not have a network card. My laptop does.
Thanks for in advance for help!

ade.h 16:05 04 Aug 06

click here Any questions, just ask.

nique 20:12 09 Aug 06

what is the best way to setup my linsky router

Strawballs 20:14 09 Aug 06

nique Please start your own thread by clicking start new subject at the top of the page that 2 threads you have tried to hijack

ade.h 20:17 09 Aug 06

Not a good start and not the best way to go about getting advice.

quill 15:08 15 Aug 06

Ade.h - I've looked through the info on your site. Thanks for this.
I'm still not clear though.... do I need a network card in my desktop (Win 98) machine?

ade.h 15:19 15 Aug 06

Yes. Won't go anywhere without one ;-)

I try to avoid Win 98 as much as possible, and because of its age, I won't be adding any information about it to my site. It's not as network-compliant as we are used to with XP, etc. So I would use an Ethernet LAN PCI card if I were you. Wifi would require a bit more work and management software.

katebush 21:46 15 Aug 06

Try this for step-by-step guide for establishing a wireless/lan home network. Also some advice on what to look for when buying routers and other equipment. Pay attention to the security configurations.

Kate.

click here

Les 23:20 15 Aug 06

Nice one Kate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…