Advice on setting up network - ethernet essential?

shepthedog 16:26 15 Apr 06

I want to set up a network between my desktop (a Mesh PC that does not have an ethernet port) and my laptop, a Sony Vaio BX196VP.
The main reason is to enable both machines to be able to go online at the same time, with the desktop as the host.

I have purchased a Netgear pack, which includes a DG834G wireless router and a WG111 wireless usb 2.0 adapter.

On trying to set up the router it says the connection should be by way of ethernet cable, but I do not have an ethernet port on my PC. Do I have to now buy an ethernet card to fit or can I set up the network using the WG111 wireless adapter plugged into the PC and the laptop's own WLAN wi-fi connecting to it?

Does that make sense? Can it be done?

Could it be done by plugging the router into the phone line and connecting wirelessly with the PC via the WG111 and that to the laptop?

Thanks for any advice.

ade.h 16:47 15 Apr 06

You cannot configure a router for the FIRST TIME without an Ethernet connection. I would be very surprised indeed if the Sony laptop does not have an Ethernet port, so why not use that?

Note that you although many subsequent adjustments can be made from a wireless client, you must still use the wired connection if you wish to change any setting that affects the wireless service or signal in any way. Otherwise it will likely crash the router.

shepthedog 16:55 15 Apr 06

Ade,

Thanks for the reply. The Sony certainly does have an ethernet port so I could use that. Some advice around how would be welcome!!

If I set it up initially using the modem can I then use the usb adapter in the PC and run everything wirelessly with no further need for the ethernet cable (unless adjustments are needed later)?

Thanks

ade.h 17:33 15 Apr 06

Yes, you can.

Don't bother running the Network Setup Wizard until you switch to wireless. Just enter the IP in your browser and set up the basic essentials. Do not use WPA-PSK until an unsecured wireless link has been completely established.

ade.h 17:35 15 Apr 06

And remember to switch off your client firewall while you attempt to access the router. (I would normally recommend setting the appropriate rules/permissions and placing the local adapter and its IP range in the firewalls' trusted zone, but I want to keep it simple for you for now).

shepthedog 18:04 15 Apr 06

Ade,

Thanks for the further, although I must admit to being slightly bemused by your 'keeping it simple' for me.

I have plugged the router into the laptop and the wireless adapter in to the pc. There is no modem plugged in to the router.

The original modem is connected to the pc via usb.

So am I right that I should now be able to set up a network between the two. So that the pc is the main connector to the internet and the laptop can also connect?

If that is right can I find an 'idiots guide' somewhere as my initial efforts aren't working!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Forum Editor 18:55 15 Apr 06

(and you have) you don't need a seperate modem plugged into anything.

Your router connects to the ADSL microfilter on the phone line, and you use the (supplied) ethernet cable to set the router up via a PC to submit your ADSL login details to your ISP. Once you've done that, you can either leave the router and PC connected, or disconnect the cable and access the internet on any computer, via its wireless network adapter.

Forum Editor 19:03 15 Apr 06

that the big advantage with a router is that it remains connected to the ADSL service as long as it's switched on - so any computer can use the internet without any other computer running.

You don't need to leave the router permanently connected of course, and I recommend that you don't. I always turn my routers off at night, or when I'm away - a router will make the connection again automatically, as soon as you turn on.

You can go ahead and set up a network between your computers, via the wireless router. Just run the wireless networking wizard in the Windows XP control panel. Run it on each computer, and make sure that you enter the same workgroup name - any name you like - on each computer. Each computer should also be given a unique computer name ("Main" "Laptop" etc.) on the network. The be sure to enable file-sharing on each machine. You do this by right-clicking on any folder that you want to share, and selecting "sharing and security" from the menu.

Be warned that you should never share the root of a drive on a network - especially one that has computers connected to the internet. That means you should not share the whole of your 'C' drive for instance; just share folders within it - many people share the 'My documents' folder, or individual folders within it.

shepthedog 20:25 15 Apr 06

Ade and Forum Editor,

Thanks for the help and advice, I type this update from the laptop while connected wirelessly so it seems to have worked!!

All the best

Shep

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…