Advice required on Acronis TrueImage

doggon 21:40 19 Dec 05

Hi all,
I have just installed Acronis TrueImage, it's the personal edition v 8 which was on a cover disc. I've made an image of my C drive which is stored on an external hard drive. I would now like to restore this image as a dummy run to make sure everything works OK. My question is, if the restore went wrong or say froze part way though or whatever, would I then be faced with having to do a new install of XP and all of my software. I don't fancy having to do that as I do not have any problems at the moment.

Thanks,

doggon.

De Marcus™ 21:42 19 Dec 05

I've never had a freeze at any point and I've used acronis almost since it was first released.

woodchip 21:43 19 Dec 05

You are not very trusting! I have True Image and never had a Problem with it. If it's on a External Drive make sure it's on the first Partition of that drive for TI to see it when you boot with Rescue Media

doggon 22:01 19 Dec 05

Thanks to you both for the advice. woodchip it's not that I'm not trusting, it's because I read of restore problems on the Acronis support forums.

Cheers,

doggon.

mgmcc 22:05 19 Dec 05

<<< I would now like to restore this image as a dummy run to make sure everything works OK. >>>

I did exactly the same thing on Saturday with the trial version of True Image 9. Before I started, I had three partitions - one with 98SE, one with XP Pro and one with Norton Ghost backups. After trying to restore the Acronis "image" file I had a totally demolished hard drive!

I had to fdisk the drive and reinstall XP - I really couldn't be bothered with the hassle of reinstalling 98SE with all the drivers it requires. I'll stick with Ghost and all my other Ghost backups are on a separate external hard drive.

VoG II 22:10 19 Dec 05

I have read many horror stories about Acronis failing to restore. That is why I bought Norton Ghost even though Acronis came bundled with my external HDD, and my general dislike of Norton products.

De Marcus™ 22:13 19 Dec 05

TI9 has had some reported problems. TI8 has been and still is, imo, the best consumer backup programme available.

doggon 22:29 19 Dec 05

Thanks for your posts. After reading what you both have to say I am going to dump Acronis TI and buy Norton Ghost.

mgmcc, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune and can imagine how annoying that must have been.

Cheers,

doggon.

De Marcus™ 22:37 19 Dec 05

Oh well your mind seems to have been made up already.

VoG II 23:00 19 Dec 05

Example click here

PaulB2005 23:03 19 Dec 05

ACronis Ti 8 working fine here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced