Advice on removing heatsink/cpu

aca 10:53 27 Mar 05

Decided to upgrade CPU. Have CPU/Heatsink. Athlon xp3000+ (Socket A).

Have AMD instructions etc.

Looked straightforward. However....

I am having reall trouble removing the clip that holds heatsink. Have had 2 near misses with screwdriver slipping towards motherboard. Started thinking that its too risky

I have got quote of £20 for someone to do it. But it looks a 5-10 minute job.

Any advice or suggestions.

Jeffers22 11:04 27 Mar 05

go to the site of your current processor. all instructions will be available there. google is your friend

Rogerfredo 11:09 27 Mar 05

I know what you mean! If your motherboard is not supported with pillars near the CPU, you may need to pack it underneath to stop it from flexing while you apply the necessary pressure.
As you probably know, you then have to push down and to the side to release the clamp. I filed a small nick in an old screwdriver to stop it slipping. Good luck.

aca 11:09 27 Mar 05

As stated in post have the AMD instructions and watched theit video, but my clip does not want to budge

great1 11:21 27 Mar 05

On the right hand side of you processor ie beside the lever insert a narrow flat sided screwdriver into the clip (might be coloured green) push down and out and it should come free

great1 11:24 27 Mar 05

Might be better to remove your m/board with cpu in place then put on a flat surface with some protective foam or similar material for support first

skeletal 13:48 27 Mar 05

I was amazed and terrified at the amount of force I needed to apply when I put my AMD processor INTO the motherboard. I thus assume you will need a similar amount of force to remove it!

I thought the Mobo was going to end up bent double.

Take on board all previous suggestions then book a few months weight training in the local gym!

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…