Advice re unauthorised access to computer

wildhouse 18:37 30 Apr 10

Hi - my neighbour in the next flat has emailed to say that her computer was accessed twice whilst she was out. I have my firewall enabled and my wifi needs the correct registration key so I'm fairly sure that my computer is safe, but can anyone advise how her computer could have been accessed? She hasn't said what sites were accessed. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 30 Apr 10

1.Unsecured network (WEP is no good needs to be at least WPA)

2. Infected with Virus and malware.

wildhouse 19:18 30 Apr 10

You will have to enlighten me about WEP and WPA. I know it stands for Wired equivalent privacy and Wi-Fi protected access but I doubt know what that means!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:00 30 Apr 10
  PalaeoBill 20:10 30 Apr 10

Sticking the terms WEP and WPA into Google will tell you all that you need; specifically why WEP is not a good option anymore.
For an added level of protection, most routers allow you to specify the MAC address(s) of computers that are allowed to connect to it. The MAC (Media Access Control) number is unique to a network card/wireless network card.
click here

What is probably more important in this instance is to find out from your neighbour what level of protection she had and what she means when she says her PC was accessed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…