Advice re 3G Sim Card please

Border View 13:57 22 Nov 08

I have an excellent (cheap) monthly contract with o2 which I've had for a number of years. My account with o2 is considerably in credit.

Yesterday my mobile showed "Limited Service" and I would only have been able to make SOS calls.

I telephoned o2 and they took me through various steps to check my SIM card. They came to the conclusion that because my SIM card was seven years old it needed replacing. They would send me a replacement free of charge.

Excellent service and the sim card duly arrived this morning. I notice however that its a 3G sim card. The one I have isnt (which by the way mended itself a couple of hours after I spoke to o2 and I was then able to make calls)

Question - before I put the new 3G card into the phone - are all new sim cards 3G? Why would I need a 3G card when I only use my mobile for a few texts and ordinary phone calls.

I would welcome your comments please.

woodchip 14:03 22 Nov 08

I think you can join PAYG for mobile Broad Band with that Sim. I may be wrong but may be worth checking as you could use your Phone as a Modem for your Laptop if you have one. For anywhere that you can get a Signal

Border View 14:05 22 Nov 08

Thanks woodchip. Am looking at all angles of this before I put the sim into my phone.

woodchip 14:11 22 Nov 08

Have a Read click here

Border View 14:32 22 Nov 08

Hi - the more I am looking into this I think its a brilliant piece of salesmanship on the part of o2. With a 3G card in my phone I would be able to use the mobile as a modem and thus spend more money with them. Clever little monkies.

Before I even think about linking the laptop up (when away from home) I will look to see what they charge on Pay as you go.

Thanks for the pointers woodchip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…