Advice prior to upgrading CPU

bvm 09:03 06 Jul 14

My current computer has an Intel i3 chip with on board graphics.

I have been given an i7 chip previously used in a server. It is the chip listed in my original hardware spec as an upgrade option and has the correct socket spec etc.

As I am sure you experts know the i7 does not have graphics on board so I have purchased a suitable graphics card.

I was planning to install the graphics card first and get it working with the i3 and then swap the i3 for the i7.

Is this the right way to go and are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help.

Ian in Northampton 09:12 06 Jul 14

I'm sorry, I can't help you with your question - but just something I wanted to clarify. AFAIK, the graphics issue with the Core i7 isn't that it doesn't have graphics - rather that, for reasons best known to themselves,Intel chose to implement the Intel HD Graphics 4600 capability into it rather than the more powerful Iris GPU technology - meaning that the i7 is not as well equipped for gaming as it could have been.

That leads me to believe - and it's a guess - that there's no reason you can't just go ahead and swap out the i3 for the i7, get it up and running, then add the discrete graphics card.

SparkyJack 10:40 06 Jul 14

If you (like Iused to )like grappling with thermal paste/solder,and hope,fine do the do and see what happens. The reality is either the machine won't work, or run worse. You see,it is not just a prossecor swap, the MoBo and the associated 'chip sets, are designed for that CPU . So the likely hood the computer, if it works at all will be different,but almost certainly not better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…