Advice on prefetch folder

ray27 19:11 02 Mar 04

I have read that there is a folder in windows xp home called prefetch which can over time cause the pc to slow down .

It said that there was nothing of importance in this folder and it was safe to delete the contents is this true?

Can anyone explain what this folder is for?
Many thanks
Ray

Forum Editor 19:24 02 Mar 04

the programs that are loaded at startup, and those you load yourself, and it makes its own cache in the prefetch folder, so when you launch a program it can appear on the screen a little faster.

You can safely delete everything in the prefetch folder, and Windows XP will busily set about recreating the content all over again. If you don't want the folder to fill up you can delete the contents on a regular basis - say once a month.

VoG II 19:39 02 Mar 04

You can safely disable prefetch if you wish.

click here and click on Jester2K Freeware then scroll to the bottom of the page.

powerless 19:42 02 Mar 04

"prefetch folder"

click here

powerless 19:43 02 Mar 04

I see no difference in performance etc when anything is done to the folder.

ray27 08:46 03 Mar 04

Many thanks to all for the advice .
It enables me to go a little further along the learning curve (still a long way to go)
Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…