advice on power supplies please.

hugh-265156 00:25 26 Jan 03

i have just found out my power supply is rated at this normal?i thought most were around would upgrading benifit me?1.8celeron/512ddr/40gig drive/radeon 128 non pro. thanks.

goonerbill 00:37 26 Jan 03

each component in ya pc draws power from ya psu. can't remember what all the parts use (there was an artical in either pca or other pc mag) but i'm suprised ya pc is running with a 150watt psu. would suggest ya upgrade ya psu (your choice on what ya get 300 watt or 400 watt, personnal pref. would be 400 watt) before it blows, as it may damage any of the items in ya pc.

hugh-265156 00:55 26 Jan 03

thanks,was a bit surprised to find this out myself as is only a six month old seems to run ok though.

DieSse 01:03 26 Jan 03

Many "brand-name" systems have PSUs rated lower than you might expect. You can rest assured that in these systems, the manufacturer has carefully tested that the PSU is sufficient for the system.

This just shows that "wattage" mania is not the be-all-and-end-all of PSU performance. The amount of power that a PSU puts out at each individual voltage, it's stability and performance under peak and transient loads are equally, if not more important.

If, however, your system has been assembled from standard components, it is inconceivable that a 150W PSU would be fitted, as they are virtually impossible to obtain. A Standard, good quality, 300W PSU would be ample for the components in your system.

I have a fast P4, two HDDs, DVD, CD-RW, 512Mb DDR-RAM, and a GeF4MX card, running very stable on a good quality 300W supply.

hugh-265156 01:21 26 Jan 03

its a packard bell imedia 5051 pc.the only mods i have done were an extra 256ram and the graphics card as was previously onboard graphics and 256ram.

grove34 01:23 26 Jan 03

upgrade to a QTEC GOLD 550W , you can pick em up at most pc fairs for about 30 quid and they support pentium and amd.

DieSse 01:25 26 Jan 03

Don't worry. If a "big-name" supplier underrated their PSUs, they would get hundreds of thousands going in the warranty period. They've got more sense than that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…