Advice on possible upgrading

BrightEyes13 10:20 23 Jan 10

I've recently started using Photoshop CS4 and Illustrator, however my system is frustratingly slow when I'm using just one of these with no other programs open (never mind when both and/or other programs are open!), and it's so slow that there's very little point as it cannot be used productively at all (for example when just using the marquee box tool, the program hangs and does not drag the box smoothly (excuse my lack of proper photoshop language), and keeps stopping and starting.. In fact it's a patient effort just to draw a box..)
I'll also be starting to use flash soon, and I'm guessing my computer won't run this with any great speed or ease either

Can someone let me know what I may need to do to get my system in a better and faster working order, to get the very best out of these programs? My tech knowledge isn't great, from what I've read it could be anything from more memory, upgrading the graphics card, a new processor, or it maybe cheeper and more efficient to get a new computer to avoid upgrading the whole thing later..

I carry out regular defrag, ccleaner, cleaning temp files, avg, spybot etc. My specs are below:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.30GHz
Memory: 1280MB RAM
Page File: 851MB used, 2011MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 39.7 GB
Total Space: 76.3 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST380012A

My motherboard is: ASRock P4VM900-SATA2

Any advice appreciated, please bear in mind my computer knowledge is pretty standard!

Thank you

Technotiger 10:32 23 Jan 10

I would go for a New PC with a much bigger hard drive, and higher all-round specs.

User-312386 10:38 23 Jan 10

I agree with techno here, a new computer is in order here. I would say a core 2 duo

BrightEyes13 10:49 23 Jan 10

Thank you both, what should I be looking for spec wise when buying a new computer, also would you recommend somewhere reputable to purchase from?

If I find one I'm interested in hope you don't mind if I post the link on here for your feedback?

Cheers

User-312386 12:59 23 Jan 10

What you need to do first is set yourself a price and then start looking. I use click here as there after sales are brilliant.

BrightEyes13 09:08 24 Jan 10

I've found quite a range of possibles, from PC world and Novatech - I know it's not entirely possible but would like a futureproof 'as much as possible' system so I hopefully don't have to do all this again in a few years time, but all for max budget of 600..

In price order -
HP Pavilion p6205uk
click here

Isys EX Pro
click here

Packard Bell iXtreme X6620
click here

iRush
click here

Advent Centurion CQ9204
click here

I've looked at the max specs I could get for my budget, would be grateful if you could advise (*if* I've been looking at the right things) if any of these would be a good way to go?

Thanks for your guidence

User-312386 09:48 24 Jan 10

OK here goes

If you can stretch your budget to iRush PC-1374 click here with windows 7 it will cost you £669.99 inc vat, but this has no monitor, but does have the best specs and a good power supply as well and DDR3 Memory as well! If you can afford it then go for this one.

However second best is click here , this has 6GB of ddr2 ram, with RAM memory clock speed 800MHz, which is lower spec than the irush and once again no monitor!

All the others have DD2 ram

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…