Advice please-Which card out of these 2?

dagwoood 06:24 01 Jan 05

I was hoping to buy a Geforce 6600GT AGP, but due to budgetary constraints, I'm considering getting something cheaper.

The 2 cards I've narrowed it down to are the Geforce FX 5900XT, and the Radeon 9600XT.

I've found an article where I can compare the two cards(and numerous others)by how they score in different benchmark tests click here

If you go through the different benchmarks, sometimes one will perform better in certain tests, but sometimes the other card performs better, so I'd be grateful for some extra input please.

I'm leaning towards the Radeon as it's quite a bit cheaper than the Nvidia offering, and it doesn't have a fan which equates to less noise and less hassle to install(i.e.connecting to the PSU). It also scores better when playing Far Cry, which I'm currently playing, but on medium settings, with no AA.

Or is it worth it(performance wise)as I currently have a Radeon 9600 256MB installed?

Any advice welcome.

Happy new year, dagwoood.

P.S.Running on XP, Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB RAM.

Technotiger 08:31 01 Jan 05

Hi, just a matter of personal choice really, but I don't see any point in changing what you already have, would be just a waste of money in my humble opinion. You already have a decent setup - better than mine anyway, and I can do everything I want with my pc - fast games, photo's, video etc without problems.

Happy New Year.

ste_bla 09:14 01 Jan 05

Prehaps try a 9700 Pro for £91.06 ex del. so it will be under £100 with delivery from click here (3rd down)

vinnyT 11:40 01 Jan 05

Both those cards are very good, however, I feel you would do better to stay with your present card for a few months, save your pennies and then buy the 6600GT, which is superb.

Starfox 13:10 01 Jan 05

Agree with Technotiger etc,hardly worth it.You won't notice the difference.

dagwoood 18:12 01 Jan 05

Thank you for the advice guys.

Starfox/Technotiger, I was surprised to read that you think that it's not worth me upgrading to one of these cards, as according to the benchmark results, they both perform a lot better than my current card and I thought I would notice a difference. Thanks for your opinions :)

Ste_bla, never even entered my head to try and source a 9700. As it's an older card I thought you would find it really hard to get hold of a new one. Thanks for the heads up.

vinnyT, I know the 6600GT is supposed to be a great card(that's why I originally wanted one!). My problem is I'm just too impatient and I do have the cash at the moment for a card in the £100 range.

Happy new year,dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…