Advice Please!! - Setting up wireless network

TGC 12:41 15 Dec 05

Hi,

I'm new to these forums and looking for some advice for a couple of queries.

I've recently moved house and the new place only has one BT point downstairs with my computer upstairs on the other side of the house.

I currently have a USB modem and am signed up with Tesco.com for broadband access. Rather than drill holes and trail cables I'd rather setup a wireless network with the modem/router next to the BT point and my PC upstairs with a wireless adapter.

I've got to the stage of checking with Tesco for any issues with wireless (none) and also looked around at modem/routers and prices - currently looking at Netgear DG834G or Belkin equivalent.

My queries are:

1) Should I go for a PCI or USB adapter for the PC?

2) Do I need to physically connect my PC (via network cable) to the modem/router or can everything, including the setup, be carried over the wireless connection?

Cheers,

TGC

BurrWalnut 13:45 15 Dec 05

In reply to :-

1. Use a USB adapter as it can be moved from one PC to another.
2. Initially use the cable to set it up. Then load the wireless adapter software, plug in the adapter then you can remove the cable.

mgmcc 13:53 15 Dec 05

<<< 1) Should I go for a PCI or USB adapter for the PC? >>>

For internet access, it shouldn't matter. An 802.11g Wireless Network Adapter operates at 54Mbps whereas USB 1.1 only supports 12Mbps, so if you were transferring files between two computers and only had a USB 1.1 port, PCI would be the better option. However, for the relatively slow speed (in networking terms) of a broadband connection, USB 1.1 is adequate.

<<< 2) Do I need to physically connect my PC (via network cable) to the modem/router or can everything, including the setup, be carried over the wireless connection? >>>

Normally, it is necessary to connect to the router with a network cable to perform the initial setup, but thereafter connections can be totally wireless. However, I believe the Netgear DG834G can actually be set up with only a wireless connection.

TGC 14:01 15 Dec 05

Thanks for that.

In response to the responses;

1) I don't plan on setting up a network as such at home, I was only planning on using the router to enable wireless net access and eliminate the need to trail cables and generally make a mess.

2) Even if I need to connect up just the once to configure everything, then thats not a big issue, although I have been looking at the Netgear DG834G. I also believe that PC World are offering the Netgear in a package complete with the USB adapter.

Thanks again.

keewaa 16:06 15 Dec 05

Type DG834G into amazon search, they are offering it & free USB adapter for £65

It's worth noting that once you have it set up to share the internet then you actually have everything you need to ALSO set up a network to share files and printer if you wanter to.

seedie 15:32 17 Dec 05

I've got a DG834G router/bb modem and works fine. put the router near the phone socket and put wireless card in each 'puter and install them *as per the instuctions*, router will detect them and bob's yer unc.

It may be prudent to download the .pdf for this kit from the netgear site first.

Good luck

CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…