Advice please re network firewall

JGG 11:43 08 May 04

Could a kind soul give me the benefit of their experience re the installation of a firewall system on my network? I'm new to this networking stuff and getting confused!

I have recently set up an ethernet based desktop pc and wireless connection to my laptop using the Netgear DG834G and WG511 wireless pc card. Both systems are running Win XP. I used to use zonealarm free edition on both but after connection difficulties, uninstalled them in favour of the firewall shipped with the netgear router - 'Freedom Security & Privacy suite'. I have installed Freedom on the desktop only.

Is it necessary to install the firewall on the lappy also?

(Both desktop and laptop are running AVG installed on each machine)

Thanks in advance

Jeff

mgmcc 13:13 08 May 04

The "Netgear DG834G" is a router which connects to the internet. Your two PCs access the internet over a LAN (Local Area Network) connection to the router, so any firewall software installed in the desktop PC will have no effect on the laptop, which should have its own firewall protection installed.

JGG 13:56 08 May 04

mgmcc,

Thanks for the explanation, it is much appreciated... guess I had better go do some installing!

Jeff

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…