advice please re: motherboard

blueboy2uk 20:45 24 Jul 07

my motherboard has a power supply problem, suspected dry joints below the power connector block,wiggle the wires around and sometimes it goes ok, so i need to install a new motherboard,CPU and memory when i install them will my operating system think that i have moved the harddrive to a new computerand not function because i really dont want to have to install everything all over again or will it be ok the operating system is XPpro media canter with a vista upgrade.

thanks
blueboy

STARIE 21:18 24 Jul 07

under XP I have swapped hard drives between pc's with little or no problems, sometimes have to go into bios and make sure it is detecting everything ok and set up in right order for primary and slave drives.

Can't see why it shouldn't work, but be prepared to spend sometime installing new drivers for mobo, and make sure it is suitable for Vista.

Strawballs 22:23 24 Jul 07

If you can get same make and model of MoBo then you won't have any problems and won't have to replace CPU and memory, but if you get different it will depent on whether you have OEM upgrade or full retail if later then re-activate no problem, you also might get conflict between old and new MoBo drivers if you go for different.

woodchip 22:32 24 Jul 07

Why not get somebody thats good with solder iron, it's a easy job to fix. But it could be a Faulty ATX PSU plug, Are there any burn marks on the plug?

hssutton 22:39 24 Jul 07

Have just replaced the motherboard/CPU/Memory on my Vista Ultimate pc. Was allowed 3 days to re-activate my OEM version. A phone call to Microsoft + a couple of questions and they re-activated it for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…