Advice please in purchasing computer

tippucat 20:31 03 Sep 03

Hi. My son is about to begin a degree course studying 'Illustration'. This will involve a great deal of computer based work thus he requires a powerful computer but, on a budget. Would you be able to advise on a computer that would be mid-priced ie £800, but with a powerful graphic card, cd drive, fast processor and big memory. We have a leaflet from 'Studentcomp' but neither of us have heard of it. I'm of a suspicious nature, I'm afraid! Thanks for your help in this.

MAJ 20:37 03 Sep 03

Have you looked at the "Superbudget Top Ten" listings in "PC Advisor" magazine, tippucat? You'll get no better recommendations than there are in there.

Jomi 20:45 03 Sep 03

No need to rush out and buy PC Advisor, click on the link to 'reviews' at the top of this page and you'll see a budget pc's link there.

wee eddie 20:56 03 Sep 03

By making a list of the things you do not need.

eg No: dvd writer, sound card, 5.1 speakers, possibly other bits.

Save more by using CRT rather than TFT.

tippucat 21:12 03 Sep 03

Big thanks. I'll go the 'Top Ten' listing. 'Wee Eddie', I suggested that to my son but you know what kids are like!

shifty 21:12 03 Sep 03

Have a look at click here You can specify the computer and change the specification with the price shown after any changes. I have purchased several systems for myself and family etc with excellent results.

wee eddie 21:58 03 Sep 03

I assume he is paying for it himself.

If you get him a high spec PC, which is adequate for his studies, but without these items. He can buy them when he has funds available, bar work will get him enough to buy a 5.1 speaker system in about 3 evenings, and then install them himself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…