~^*^ Advice Please ~^*^~

Vampira132 19:21 10 Feb 07

Hello,

Since I have windows ME I want to upgrade to Windows XP; but I'm not sure if my PC could cope. I cannot afford a new PC.

Any advice would be great

Kind regards,

Vampira

Diodorus Siculus 19:24 10 Feb 07

Do you know the processor type and speed in the pc? that, and the amount of RAM (memory) are the two major factors.

Right click my computer and choose properties; that will tell you some of what you need to know.

terryf 19:24 10 Feb 07

Don't know but you would get a better response if you closed this thread and started a new one, perhaps entitled 'Windows ME upgrade to Winxp advice wanted'

VoG II 19:24 10 Feb 07

Try what I suggested earlier click here

Vampira132 19:30 10 Feb 07

I have done what you said VoG, I need to upgrade some of my software to have Windows XP thats all it is telling me.

Diodorus Siculus - RAM = 240
AMD Athlon(lm) Processor
how do I check the speed? Right click on my computer doesn't work, I used the control panel and clicked on System then you get the system properties.

TerryF - does it matter?!?

terryf 19:31 10 Feb 07

I notice this same thread in 'beginners' why not tick this as resolved and carry on with the other thread

Vampira132 19:31 10 Feb 07

They told me I had it in the wrong place on the beginners page and told me to put it in here.

Diodorus Siculus 19:32 10 Feb 07

click here for SIW - download and run it and you will find all the info you need.

Diodorus Siculus 19:34 10 Feb 07

By the way, with only 256MB RAM, you will struggle with XP; another 512MB (about £30) will be necessary to make XP a pleasant experience. XP runs fine on a processor of 1GHz or above.

terryf 19:35 10 Feb 07

vampira132 said about your posting in beginners:

you are posting in the correct section if you are a beginner or need basic guidance and are not sure of what you are doing ;

Back in the early days of XP, I found that it ran fine with 256MB of RAM for the usual day to day tasks. In fact I was disappointed by the lack of improvement when I did upgrade it to 512MB.

I would still give it a try with what you have now - you can always upgrade later if necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017