Advice on photo colour printing needed urgently

Bagsey 17:23 22 Jun 03

I am printing out a lot of wedding pictures and am finding that on some of them the colours actually printed are quite different to those shown on screen. Is there any way of doing a check before I waste sheets of photo paper. I have tried using plain paper but that gives a false impression of colours as well.
Printers used HP 3822 and or Epson Stylus 880.
I am using Paint Shop Pro 7 to edit.

graham√ 17:40 22 Jun 03

I will think about it urgently.

-pops- 17:45 22 Jun 03

If you click on Properties on each of your printers you should be able to find a number of adustments you can make in how the printer prints colour.

What I really wanted to say was that you have the most challenging photographic assignment possible with wedding photos. The contrast between the bride and her groom in a traditional white wedding is virtually impossible to get right without a lot of adjustments and fiddling about.

Good luck with it!!!!!

Brian

Audeal 19:02 22 Jun 03

To check the printout before committing it to glossy paper, you could buy a pack of "Epson Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper". The price veries between £7 and £10 for 100 sheets. It is so good that I use it for printing photographs intended for framing. It is not noticeable once it is behind glass. The quality of the printout is, in my oppinion, much better than glossy.

Bagsey 19:07 22 Jun 03

Thanks for the pointers to the printer Properties file. I have played with that now and have made some marginal improvements but I can see that much fiddling with the settings is needed to overcome my problem. In the old days of enlargers and developing tanks I would just have swapped the filter on the enlarger. Oh well that is called progress. Thanks again. I will leave this thread open to see if anyone else has some good ideas.

Bagsey 19:10 22 Jun 03

Thats a good idea. I have a pack of that paper but never thought to dig it out from under the other junk on my desk.
Cheers

Bebee 19:19 22 Jun 03

This is a tricky one, and colour matching is one of the things the pros spend a lot of time and money on.

I have got close using Photoshop Elements, the adjustments in my graphics card software and the software with my printer (Canon).

Photoshop allows me to choose the ICM (Image Colour Matching) which the printer provides, and the printer software is then set to match this. The next step was to adjust the monitor to match them up with a sample print from using the colour correction settings (Nvidia graphics) - in other words make the monitor match the print rather than the other way round. Hopefully then what you see on the screen is pretty much what prints out.

The professionals have a more technical approach (use a little gizmo to stick to the screen to measure colour output).

I know this is not much help in an emergency as my setup is totally different to yours, but that's the basic principle. It also depends a lot on the printer and the paper quality.

I spent a lot of time on various photographic sites getting hold of the idea ( click here and click here ). You'll need to look at the software documentation with Paintshop, the printers and at your graphics options (use the 'Advanced' tab on the display settings and see what's there). You'll need a good few sheets of paper to practice on - and it needs to be the paper you are going to use. There are some good prices on quality paper click here

Sorry not to have a simpler solution.

wee eddie 19:22 22 Jun 03

You are obviously using the monitor to balance the colours, but if the monitor is not showing true colours your going to be out before you start.

You may need to spend time setting up the monitor first.

If this is the case others will advise you as to how to do it.

TFT screens are notorious for this, which is the reason for most designers and artists using CRT's. You have more control over the image.

graham√ 20:46 22 Jun 03

I've thought about it. A basic monitor check click here

I've seen a better one, but can't find it immediately.

Djohn 21:01 22 Jun 03

click here click here click here click here Try these, and good luck with the photo's. j.

Bagsey 22:29 22 Jun 03

Wow! thanks everyone for the help and the pointers. That has given me a lot of reading to do. I did manage to get somewhere near the quality that I wanted by tinkering with the advanced printer settings but there has got to be an easier (less wastefull) way forward. I will probably have to give my son and daughter in law a set of coloured specs. to use when viewing this photo album. Once again thanks to everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…