Advice,- peculiar problem with 'details' entries

Tenner 17:44 23 Jan 03
  Tenner 17:44 23 Jan 03

I have just discovered a most peculiar thing when entering info in a prepared box ( on Langalist > sendit2 site ).

The sort of box I mean is where you enter 'name' 'email address' etc. Left-Clicking on it didn't deposit/expose the cursor so that typing could commence. However, double clicking worked, except - instead of the cursor there appeared one of my confidential passwords ( that I hadn't used for ages )

Next box, same process produced my email address as if I'd pasted from Edit menu.

Using Win 98SE.

Is this a problem, or what ?

cracker23 17:46 23 Jan 03

weird,very weird

BRYNIT 17:56 23 Jan 03

If you put the first letter of name, e-mail address etc it will give you a drop down list of what has been entered B4 the only thiing it shouldn't enter is a user name or a password.

jazzypop 17:59 23 Jan 03

Email Langa and let him know - it could well be a coding problem on his web site

Tenner 18:04 23 Jan 03

Hi ! Thanks for your reply

The point about clicking ( which reveals old, little used password ) is that I cannot type anything in the box yet, that's why I'm clicking away !

cracker23 - heartening to find somebodyelse finds it weird.

I realise that this might be trivial, but on the otherhand it might just be an indication of some other more serious problem.

Tenner 18:06 23 Jan 03

Hi ! Thanks for your reply

Have tried, but not sure if correct address was used

jazzypop 18:11 23 Jan 03
  Tenner 18:50 23 Jan 03

Within the last few minutes I have received the following from Fred

' No, that's IE trying to autocomplete the form for you, based on stuff stored in your local History and similar files. It's all happening on your end, not on the server end. In fact, the server doesn't see anything you're doing on the form until you click "submit."

I rarely use IE, normally Eudora and Netscape 6. If IE is sticking it's nose in, then I am concerned !

jazzypop 18:56 23 Jan 03

It's becoming clearer....

From the IE Help file -

"To adjust AutoComplete settings

You can configure AutoComplete to save and suggest only the information you want. You can choose whether to use AutoComplete for Web addresses, forms, and passwords, or not use it all. You can also clear the history for any of these.

In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

Click the Content tab.

Under Personal information, click AutoComplete.

Select the check boxes for the AutoComplete options you want to use."

Tenner 12:06 24 Jan 03

Many thanks, very gratefull.

Rarely use it, hence ignorance ( in part ! )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…