//some 3rd party need geo

Advice: Optimizing system with 2 hard drives.

dagwoood 11:30 16 Jul 05

I've recently purchased a smaller second h/d(Western Digital Caviar 40GB)so as I could image my main drive to it(using Acronis)and put my Page File and temporary internet files on it as, from what I've read, this would provide better system performance.

The smaller drive is on the same IDE cable as my main drive and is set to slave.

Are there any other ways I could consider get a better performance hit by utilising my second h/d in another way? Would connecting both drives to different IDE controlers give a noticable performance increase(to do this I would have to purchase a PCI card)?

System spec: XP Home SP2, Athlon 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, 120GB Seagate Barracuda(8MB), 40GB WDC.

Cheers, dagwoood.

soy 13:17 16 Jul 05

Hi, Putting the second HD on the same IDE wont make any difference in peformance. It will only help the main C: drive become less fragmented if you have the page file there. For performance (although not that noticable really) put the second HD on the other IDE channel.

dagwoood 16:34 16 Jul 05

Thanks for your advice :)

As per my original post, I'd have to by a PCI card to get my drives to operate on a different IDE channel, so I don't think I'll buy one for a negligible performance gain.

I can't use the second IDE socket on my motherboard as my optical drives are connected to it. There isn't enough distance between the master/slave adaptors on my IDE ribbon cables to have my h/d's as masters on each channel with an optical drive apiece as slaves to them(hope you understand that).

Cheers, dagwoood.

Diemmess 16:41 16 Jul 05

If I understand you correctly, then having two HDs on the primary IDE cable and both optical drives on the secondary IDE cable, is correct, tidy, and no way going to upset performance.

Buchan 35 21:35 16 Jul 05

It has`nt upset mine. I`ve got two 40 Gig Hdds on one IDE (Master and Slave) and a DVD/CD RW with
a DVD rom on another IDE.

Buchan 35 21:38 16 Jul 05

Sorry folk that last should have bee addressed to Diemmess

dagwoood 21:50 16 Jul 05

Cheers for the additional input guys.

Diemmess, you're correct in how I currently have my drives configured(h/d's on primary, optical on secondary). I know this is how it's normally done and I shouldn't have any stability/performance issues having them configured in this way.

I just wandered whether if I had my hard drives working on different IDE channels whether I'd see an improvement in performance. As per soy's post though, it wouldn't be worth the bother/expense.

Thanks again, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…