Advice on new moniyor please.

bukkaz 19:29 24 May 07

Current TFT gone kaput. Any advice on a new one for about £150? Would people advise on widescreen or not? Have a Radeon 9800 card.
Used mainly for the web and gaming with a bit of photo editing.

Totally-braindead 19:33 24 May 07

Frpm the PCA charts no2 Viewsonic VG1930wm £152 from Scan Computers click here

Personally I like to see them first, reviews are all very well but what I think is great you might not be daft on.

Gongoozler 19:52 24 May 07

Hi bukkaz. I have a widescreen monitor and find it very good when I want to have two documents open side-by-side. What you do need to realize is that for a given diagonal dimension a widescreen actually has a smaller area than a conventional screen. this is because the height is reduced as the width is increased. I bought a Samsung SyncMaster 205BW, 20.5 inch diagonal. The display is superb quality, but it is over your budget. I also bought an Acer AL1716 conventional screen ratio for my Grandson's computer. This is within your budget range and a very good display but not quite up to the Samsung quality.

audeal 23:10 24 May 07

I always thought that wide screens tend to stretch the picture making a circle look more like an egg. I like my circles to be round.

Oh how I hate wide screen TV's. I don't see the point in them. My opinion only.

Gongoozler 09:42 25 May 07

Circles look perfectly round on my Samsung. The resolution is 1680 x 1050, giving an aspect ratio of 1.6:1, whereas a conventional monitor has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1, so as long as the software defines the picture by pixels the geometry comes out right. Pictures from my digital camera viewed in Irfanview will have a black bar down each side, but if I select the picture to be used as wallpaper - stretched, then they will be distorted. As I said earlier, the main advantage for me of widescreen is that I can have two documents open side-by side.

As for widescreen TV's, they will become more and more useful as TV companies generate more content in widescreen, and with digital TV taking over the receiver will automatically select the correct display mode. The situation at present is very confused with some programmes displayed with the sides chopped off on conventional sets and some with the top and bottoms chopped off on widescreen sets. CRT widescreen sets have the added problem that when a conventional 4:3 aspect ratio picture is displayed at the correct aspect ratio the edges are distorted due to poor EHT regulation, which is why the shops always show them with the picture stretched to fill the screen, hence the actors are always made to look short and fat.

bukkaz 21:08 25 May 07

Thanks. funnily enough I've just ordered this afternoon a 20" Samsung with 1680 x 1050 resolution. Arrives tomorrow so hopefully i've made the right choice!

Gongoozler 08:47 26 May 07

Hi bukkaz. If it's the SM205BW, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it. For best quality be sure to run it at the full 1680 x 1050 resolution. It's a feature of LCD displays that running at anything other than the native resolution means that a pixel of image data has to be averaged over 2 or more display pixels with a major degradation of the image. Because of my advancing age, I also find it a good idea to use large icons in the quick launch bar. The high resolution of the SM205BW results in the normal size icons being very small.

bukkaz 14:06 26 May 07

It is indeed that monitor. Ordered off Amazon at 3 pm yesterday, paid the extra £7 for next day delivery and it arrived this morning at 8.45am. not bad service! Was a breeze to set up and I am very impressed with it, excellent value for money. Have tried Call Of dutyand it looks amazing. Trying to sort out steam. My hard drive went in a power surge (despite having anti-surge adaptor), which lead to the other monitor going, and I am being informed by Steam that someone else has the CD key for Half-Life2 as it is already registered. Of course they do it is me! I'm looking forward to what that will look like.

Stuartli 14:51 26 May 07

Configure your TV's picture aspect ratio to Auto (if available).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…