Advice - new base unit-include what?

jak_jaa 12:06 24 Aug 04

Its time to upgrade the tired old system...but I don't want an 'off the shelf' unit. I want one thats geared to my needs without un-necessary bits. I'm not knowledgeable in the ways of RAM etc.hence my question here. This is a list of the important things I do.

1.I like to play around with my digital images.
2.I do a lot of project work for work.
3.I'm not into gaming - but don't mind the odd jigsaw!
4.I have Broadband through Ethernet connection
5.I'm not into music so don't download loads
6.Have independant copy of XP Home, not OEM
7.Want usb 2.0
8.Need memory + speed.

Any advice will be a big help so that at least I can have a rough idea of what I need to include and not what they say I should have.

Thank you loads.

woodchip 12:11 24 Aug 04

A Athlon64 CPU and at least 512Mb memory and Two Hard Drives A DVDRW and a separate DVD player if possible. A Ati All in Wonder Graphics would be your best bet.

That would be what I would put in

Stuartli 12:23 24 Aug 04

You need to decide first what is to be kept from your current system such as, perhaps, the monitor.

You can buy fully equipped base units such as those from click here from around £50 to £400 - something in the latter price range would probably be suitable - or from click here which offers, among others, Asus and Hercules base units.

However, with these you may need to add a HDD, RAM etc depending on the base unit's specs.

An Athlon 64 is not really essential at present - it's more an long term investment, but a top or near the top of the line AMD Athlon would certainly prove a sound choice.

spuds 14:05 24 Aug 04

A few prices and examples, to give you an idea click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…