Advice on Networking Solution

scp99 13:52 28 Oct 05

I have been given the task of specifying and ordering a wireless network, - The budget is approx in total ?1,400.00 tops..
Requirement:- To have a wireless networked laptop, the principle use of which will be to watch DVD?s, watch TV, record to hard drive CD?s and record tv programs to hard dirve for play back later. General wireless web browsing, email, ease of use, reliability, print both digital photo?s from camera & text type documents, connectivity with other devices. The device is essentially a desktop replacement and a lot more besides.

Any advice over the choice of hardware & operating system would be greatly appreciated.

scp99 13:53 28 Oct 05

I have suggested the following to date:-

ADSL Wireless Router modem c/w printer server: Draytek 2600g [Current favourite]
Laptop: Acer Aspire 9502WSMi [Centrino Model] ? [Current Favourite] ? Screen must be 17?]
Operating System: Not sure weather to choose XP home or Media Centre
TV Tuner: Want a good tuner compatible with media centre. Have choosen ?HAUPPAUGE WIN TV NOVA-T - TV CARD? as I believe that it is compatible]. [though I believe that it is spec?d integral with the laptop]

Printer: No Idea [but must be compatible with whichever router I choose].

Any advice over the choice of hardware & operating system would be greatly appreciated.

CLONNEN 13:17 30 Oct 05

Won't wireless be too slow for all the stuff you mention above? Just my opinion.

scp99 14:00 30 Oct 05

Appreciate your comments.

Beginning to have a bit of a re-think. Still want wireless network/with printer server but need to be able to watch tv through the laptop, both live and recorded. Am thinking of sky digital + route. I have been told that recorded program on sky digital + can be transferred to laptop using USB cable and software called pctv and watched through media player10.
Anyone heard of this before?

Also If I have a multi room installation how do I connect the sky + to the laptop for watching live tv. would it be through a normal coax cable linked to the tv tuner card or usb tv tuner?

any further advice greatly appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…