Advice on networking

alan227 14:58 29 Feb 04

I have 2 computers that I want to network so I can share the printer & BB connection. They are close together so a cabled system will do.
What I want to know is the the Telewest cable modem plugs into the lan connector on the one M/C, and lan connector is free on the other.
Does this mean all I have to purchase is a network card for the M/C that the lan connector is being used on and connect the cable from the network card to the lan connection on the other M/C or am I missing something.

SEASHANTY 15:07 29 Feb 04

Guess you should have placed this in the helproom forum. However for info on networking see this link from networklab. Its for NTL but Telewest broadband use the same cable modem system
click here

SEASHANTY 15:15 29 Feb 04

Also see this PCA thread on virtually the same question you have asked.
click here

SEASHANTY 15:27 29 Feb 04

Alan227. Doing it the way you suggest is quite feasible. In this case all you would need besides the additional lan card is a CROSSOVER cat5 network cable. This way would entail using the main PC as a gateway to the net and it would have to be on and connected to the modem whenever you wished to use the other machine to connect. By using a router you could use either PC independently without the other having to be switched on. In this case you would require a cable/dsl router with switch such as thLinksys BEFSR41 (which is a four port one). You would then not need the additional lan card and the
new cat5 cable would then need to be a straight thru
network cable, i.e. NOT A CROSSOVER type cable. For info on setting up a router such as this see the wizard on the Linksys website. You can follow it through without actually having the router. See
click here

alan227 16:54 29 Feb 04

You have solved my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…