Advice needed / Wireless help.

Bike-it 19:13 29 Dec 06

ok so i am going to take the plunge and connect my main desktop PC to two laptops and am looking at the wireless option. i have looked at a few bits of hardware they are the Netgear DG834N and the DG834G what is the difference in these two units and can i get something similar in anything from Belkin, am i right in thinking that the main PC will have to be switched on at all times so the laptops can have internet accesss, and share files between the PC and laptops. keep your answers simple as i am new to this type of computing.

howard64 19:55 29 Dec 06

Belkin or netgear or 3com very good. You are wrong the router needs to be on but that is all. I have my main desktop pc wired to the adsl wireless router and my other pc with a usb wireless device. At present I am on no. 2 with the main pc switched off and only the router connected to the line.

mgmcc 20:03 29 Dec 06

<<< i have looked at a few bits of hardware they are the Netgear DG834N and the DG834G what is the difference in these two units and can i get something similar in anything from Belkin >>>

The current standard for wireless networking is "IEEE 802.11g" with a nominal data transfer speed of 54Mbps. The next standard will be 802.11n and, in anticipation of this, many manufacturers of wireless hardware have brought out their own proprietary speed enhancing technologies. Netgear's DG834N is, I believe, technology based on a draft specification for 802.11n, their DG834G is the standard 54Mbps version of the router.

Belkin do also have a proprietary system claiming speeds of 125Mbps. Be aware that these speed enhanced technologies require that you use compatible Wireless Network Adapters too. A laptop's built-in WiFi will only support standard 54Mbps connections, regardless of the router.

<<< am i right in thinking that the main PC will have to be switched on at all times so the laptops can have internet accesss, and share files between the PC and laptops >>>

No. When you use a router, it is the *ROUTER* which connects directly to the ISP. Computers connected to the router get their internet access over the LAN from the router and quite independently from any other computer in the network. Obviously to share files, the PC hosting the files has to be running for you to be able to access them from a local computer, but other computers in the network don't need to be running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant