Advice needed for upgrading,please.

bri-an 10:23 02 Jan 05

I have a 2yr old, 1.7Mzh Intel P4 computer with 20Gb (about 11Gb free). There are two 128Mb in separate slots (240 total), and I have XP Home with SP2.
I have been given a digital camcorder, with DVin/out, and hope to try to do some editing of videos taken of family etc (very basic,not pro use!), and have been told I should have more memory, and new hard drive, and a firewire card..

My query is, what do I really require in terms of memory, hard drive, etc. I feel reasonably capable of opening the box and installing parts - but am not sure what I should get. Don't want over-kill, and costs need to be kept down. Can anyone offer advice, please?

ACOLYTE 10:56 02 Jan 05

You can get a 200gb Hard drive for £60/70 maybe less ram is a tad expensive just now but its worth having if you wont to do a bit of video editing,at least 512meg, a decent g card would help a 128mb card wont cost a great deal £20/40 depending what you wont.So if you wont to spend say £100/200 then you could get all you need and have a decent pc as well.

smy13 11:10 02 Jan 05

Might be worth investing in a DVD writer as well, this gives the best results if you want to play back your movies on anything other than you PC. I'm sure some one can you point to some good bargains I bought mine a few months back from Novatech on a recommendation from someone in the forum

goonerbill © ® 11:14 02 Jan 05

A bigger hard drive, more memory and a dvd writer (dual layer) would be your best upgrades.

xphile 11:21 02 Jan 05

Got a Maxtor diamondmax 10 200GB IDE drive for £78 (inc.postage). Check out pricerunner & kelkoo for decent shop deals. You should be able to get a top DVDrw for under £40.

bri-an 12:29 02 Jan 05

Did a Crucial scan and it recommends a 512MB ram, for £50. Will now check out further Hard drives as well. Hadn't thought about a DVD writer till now. Wife now seeing summer holiday being trimmed!!
Thanks to all, anymore thoughts/recommendations etc very welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…