Advice needed on shut downs

micky1 23:00 15 Mar 04

Hi I have just purchased a new PC and need some advice on whether I should leave my PC on when I am not using it or whether I should shut it down?

Steinman 23:05 15 Mar 04

Well it depends for how long really I'd say.
If returning to PC within short period of time then it could go into Standby mode, but I would not leave on unattended for 24/7. Also think of the electricity wasted just watching that screensaver!?

GaT7 23:06 15 Mar 04

This article may help - click here

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:08 15 Mar 04

I would leave it on.

How many times have you seen a lightbulb go when it's on? 99.999999% of the time they go when you turn them on.

If I'm wrong I'm sure that some electrically minded person will tell us, but I'm sure with all electrical goods the initial power on is when it's under most pressure - big burst of power which can make it blow. I've never seen PCs TVs etc go when they are already on, just like a light bulb.

woodchip 23:19 15 Mar 04

It's the Expansion of the metal that makes them break as the light bulb element. I leave mine on from switching on without the monitor on from the time I switch on to going to bed. the monitor is what uses the most power, Do not use Screen savers they are a complete waste of time and as above power.

Bapou 23:22 15 Mar 04

Some people prefer not to shutdown, these days there's no harm either way.

I prefer shutting down when no longer required at the end of day.

Mad Boy 23:31 15 Mar 04

I always shut mine down, the fan is covered in about 10" thick of dirt (dont want to take case off incase i break something), therefore its ready to overheat at anytime ------ its 4 year old, running EXTREMELY slow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…