Advice needed on new build please

RenegadeCarpark 15:39 09 Jul 10

Hello,

Super nooby mcnoob here, so please bear with me if I'm asking the wrong questions in the wrong place. I've been doing a lot of research lately and I've been using the PC Advisor forums as the font of all computery based knowledgeableness.

I am about to start my first attempt at building a semi-future proof, semi-gaming machince for as little money as possible. I have scoured the Google Nets for days and have come up with the following components / prices.

Please have a look at the list and let me know if a) this will work and b) is there anywhere I can find cheaper for the components listed?

Case - Asus TA-B11 - £20.51

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE - £123.36

Motherboard - Asus M4A77TD PRO/U3S6 - £78

GPU - VTX Radeon HD 5770 - £119.84

RAM - OCZ Gold 4GB 1333 DDR3 - £77.54

HD - Samsung HD502HJ F3 SATA II 500GB - £32.89

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - £76.36

These are the cheapest prices I've found from reputable dealers (including VAT). Of course, they may vary once I have a closer look at the P&P costs some of the online retailers add on.

This is just the basic machine and I will be cannibalising parts from my previous machine including the 750w PSU, second HD, Optical Drives, etc.

I've had a look at Novatech, Cougar, Dell, etc. and for the same spec, they want at least £100 more, so I'm hoping this is the best way to go for someone like myself on a very limited budget.

Please spring open your advice holes and spray me with your computer based wisdom.

Cheers,

Renegade Carpark

keef66 16:30 09 Jul 10

Get everything from one supplier to reduce delivery costs.

Ebuyer have free delivery on everything at the mo.

Make sure your existing psu / hdd have the necessary connectors.

Have a look on Toms hardware for their $550 gaming rig component list

RenegadeCarpark 17:07 09 Jul 10

Thanks keef66, I'll double check that my current psu / hdd has the right connectors.

I'm ordering the vast majority of the kit through one supplier, but unfortunately they don't have the case or motherboard I'm looking for - don't get me wrong, they have some nice ones - but at prices I cannot afford at the moment.

I'll have a trawl through Tom's Hardware, but everyone seems to link to something called New Egg, which I think is a 'Merican website and no good for a Brit like me.

Thanks again for responding.

AL47 09:13 10 Jul 10

Is say you've made a good choice. All round actually

You've spent most on a graphics card
The hdd is very good
The CPU is capable
Ram is good too

You won't be playing crysis at full settings and is not properly future proof but its the best you will do fur the price

You done what I did.. I went to about 7 different places when I built mine, and mine was my first build and it went fine just be careful with the CPU paste.. that a tricky bit :)

RenegadeCarpark 13:32 10 Jul 10

Thanks AL47, I really am a noob and the components I've chosen are based on info I've read on the web.

Obviously, if I had the dough, I could properly future proof, but I imagine the rig I'm putting together will last me at least three years - especially if I buy another HD 5770 and 'Crossfire' it later on down the line. Same with the RAM.

Kevscar1 14:37 10 Jul 10

If you really want to future proof as far as possible go for 8Gb ram and 64bit OS

MAT ALAN 14:48 10 Jul 10

Something to consider a single 5870 outplays two 5770s

click here

might save ya a couple of bob and you still have an option to double em up if ya need to...

AL47 21:06 10 Jul 10

U have the 5850 and anything more is just for crysis.. 5870 and 5850 are a lot more than his 5770, but selling the 5770 and going with the 5870 later may be better than cf with 5770

I wouldn't go 8gb.. I have 6 and nothing ever gets close (6 cause its an I 7 920 and it uses tri channel )

But yeah go for a 64bit OS for sure

AL47 21:07 10 Jul 10

Also the psu is more than fine.. I run an 850 just incase I xfire later.. and I overclock my CPU a lot ( I'm a noob at that too but was easy :) )

Good luck its fun building :)

RenegadeCarpark 15:54 11 Jul 10

Thanks for all of the replies. I might change up to a 5870 much later on, but at current prices, that one card is worth nearly the same as the whole PC. :)

I'll leave this thread up for a couple more days in case someone posts 'NO! You've chosen the wrong case / CPU / motherboard!!!11' etc.

Again, if someone knows a reliable supplier that can beat the prices I've found for the chosen components, please feel free to post the link.

Cheers me dears!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant